Nasty Backdraft on Regency 1500 Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wwoods

Nov 29, 2021
saskatoon
We purchased an bungalow on an acreage with a 2014 Regency F1100S Woodstove this fall.The stove is in the basement with a 22 foot 6 inch external selkirk style chimney.We are located in western Canada on the prairies.Last night was 20 below fahrenheit.
The stove pipe is double wall with 2 90 degree bends .The chimney extends past the peak of the house about 4 feet.We burn dry dead standing poplar
which is available for free on the property.I have used wood stoves for about 30 years.
The stove was working great until about a week ago when we had a nasty backdraft that made the stove unusable.I disassembled and cleaned the stovepipe and chimney and the air intake on the stove.The stove worked great after the cleaning until this evening when the backdraft reoccured.
I tried to heat the flue with a propane torch in the firebox with the door closed for about 15 minutes without success.
I am looking for ideas to solve this problem .Thanks for your help
I

Sounds like the basement is a negative pressure zone at times. Some things that can cause this intermittently are:
Opening a window on an upper floor, a bathroom or kitchen exhaust fan running, a clothes dryer running, or a competing combustion appliance in the basement (furnace or boiler or gas hot water heater).

Last edited:
Reactions: ozarkoak
Wind shift? I don't know how much heat a propane torch could actually put into a stove pipe? Have you tried starting top down fire? Lots of kindling nice and hot? When you cleaned the stove did it actually need cleaning? You say dry dead standing and I know poplar seasons fast but I would still check it with a moisture meter. Any thing else coincide with the draft issues? Did cold weather and the draft problem start at the same time? There are lots of experts on this site and I'm sure you will get your problem addressed.

Thanks for the reply.The first backdraft occurred during a minus 3 celcius overcast day.The second backdraft was at minus 20 celcius with a wind.I tried starting the fire with cedar panelling from a recent reno that was very dry.The backdraft is too strong to even attempt to start a fire.I had a lot of smoke spill out into the room earlier this evening and I do not want to repeat that gong show.

I forgot to mention that the chimney had very little creosote build up when I cleaned it.I made sure that there were no dryer or bathroom exhausts operating. I also shut off the furnace fan .These steps did not resolve the backdraft issue

Last edited:
A cold chimney may be exacerbating the situation along with the 2 90º turns. Change the interior 90º to a pair of 45s with an offset to eliminate one cause.

Is the stove venting into a tile lined chimney or a 6" stainless liner? If into a clay tile liner in the chimney, what are the clay liner's inner dimensions?

stove venting 3 ways.png

I believe you've got negative pressure in your basement causing the backdraft. 22ft of chimney will create lots of draft once you get it established, especially in -20. Have a look at your return air duct for the house, on more than a couple occasions I've had mine freeze off with hore frost or ice allowing a negative pressure condition in my house.

When the backdraft occured which direction was the wind coming from and where is the homes fresh air intake located? If it's on the downwind side of the house this may be part of the issue.

A plumbers propane torch is more than sufficient to start a draft if air isn't constantly being pulled down the chimney. 30 seconds is enough to get mine going.

Thanks Gentlemen for the advice.The first backdraft occured during a calm overcast day ,the second during a windy day, wind from the northwest, the chimney is stainless steel 6 inch.I do not know if we have an outdoor fresh air intake.I will check this evening .Our heating is geothermal and our HWT is electric.Thanks again

We purchased an bungalow on an acreage with a 2014 Regency F1100S Woodstove this fall.The stove is in the basement with a 22 foot 6 inch external selkirk style chimney.We are located in western Canada on the prairies.Last night was 20 below fahrenheit.
The stove pipe is double wall with 2 90 degree bends .The chimney extends past the peak of the house about 4 feet.We burn dry dead standing poplar
which is available for free on the property.I have used wood stoves for about 30 years.
The stove was working great until about a week ago when we had a nasty backdraft that made the stove unusable.I disassembled and cleaned the stovepipe and chimney and the air intake on the stove.The stove worked great after the cleaning until this evening when the backdraft reoccured.
I tried to heat the flue with a propane torch in the firebox with the door closed for about 15 minutes without success.
I am looking for ideas to solve this problem .Thanks for your help
What temp was the stove top or pipe at during backdraft and was the door open/cracked...

When you say backdraft...please describe...smoke out the inlet or puffy flames..

We do not have a HRV. Our home is a 1970,s bungalow that has been retrofitted with new windows and doors and rigid exterior insulation about 10 years ago
What happened with our stove is upon initial startup, smoke spilled out of the firebox into the room and the fire went out
There was a very brief period of updraft
Before the downdraft occurred.this was after I preheated the firebox and chimney with a propane torch for 15 minutes or so
The stove was not running when the downdraft occured

Try lighting the fire without big logs...logs 3 fingers wide. And kindling fast after you preheat...leave door cracked smallest amount until stt 200 250 and see if it still does it...no paper but fireatarter ok...

Then maybe try a wind cap.

Is there a basement window or door anywhere near the stove that you could crack open prior to starting the stove. That may help eliminate some of the negative pressure issue until your rolling. Maybe!

Is there a basement window or door anywhere near the stove that you could crack open prior to starting the stove. That may help eliminate some of the negative pressure issue until your rolling. Maybe!
Yes, basement negative pressure issues have to be figured out by process of elimination. This is the next step to try. If it makes a notable difference, then an HRV would normally be suggested, but the very cold climate needs to be taken into consideration. There may be special issues like condensation that need to be addressed.

If this makes no difference, then the most likely issue is that the chimney is too cold to sustain draft. Changing out the 90 elbow as suggested earlier will help more heat get from the stove to the chimney more quickly.

We still need to know what the stove is connected to. Is the stove venting into a tile lined chimney or a 6" stainless liner? Or a metal 6" chimney? If into a clay tile liner in the chimney, what are the clay liner's inner dimensions?

We do not have a HRV. Our home is a 1970,s bungalow that has been retrofitted with new windows and doors and rigid exterior insulation about 10 years ago
What happened with our stove is upon initial startup, smoke spilled out of the firebox into the room and the fire went out
There was a very brief period of updraft
Before the downdraft occurred.this was after I preheated the firebox and chimney with a propane torch for 15 minutes or so
The stove was not running when the downdraft occured

You should have a fresh air intake, likely into the furnace or utility room.

Being that it is external prefab chimney can you verify that the cap on the cleanout tee is in place and sealing well?

As has already been said try operating the stove with a window cracked open in the room the stove is in. That will point you in one of two ways. If this corrects the issue it's a negative pressure issue and likely due to a lack of return air in the house. If it doesn't fix the issue it's a chimney issue.

I will check the bottom clean out tee cap
And try the window open method this weekend .If I have time ,I will Change the elbow to 2 45 degree elbows
I could not find a furnace cold air intake
I will check on the manufacturer's website
to see if it lists it .Thanks to everyone for your help