Native Oklahoma tree ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GadDummit

Feeling the Heat
May 27, 2017
Oklahoma
Here's the trees I'm hoping to identify.

The first one is a short tree with peely bark and it puts off these little red balls of "fruit" about the size of a pencil eraser. I'd really like to cut it down and replace it with any other 20' tall tree. The kids play under this and those fruit stems that fall are very pokey.

Click any pic for bigger pictures.

Trunk:
?dm=BLBX.jpg

Leaves:
?dm=MZTF.jpg

Fruit:
?dm=RAWG.jpg

The second one has serrated leaves and they feel "hairy' when you touch them. Makes me itchy thinking about it.

Trunk:
?dm=GDU0.jpg

Leaves (no fruit that I've seen):
?dm=3G6R.jpg

The third is some kinda pine, I think.

Trunk:
?dm=39AD.jpg

Light, feathery leaves:
?dm=WJ84.jpg

The last one has spiky berries on it.

trunk:

?dm=QB54.jpg

Leaves:

?dm=WS9T.jpg

Fruit:
?dm=C9NP.jpg

Also for what it's worth I put this same post up on another "forest" *hint hint* related forum in the Tree ID section (I'm sure you can figure out which one) and the bastage Admin deleted it because he didn't like my pictures. You know how long it takes to put a post full of pictures together? A long dang time! And thankfully I still had the pictures on my phone. Never using that other forum again.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts. But i've been known to be wrong:

1. No idea, might be an ornamental?
2. Elm
3. Hemlock
4. Mulberry

1) An Asian spp. ? I'll guess Pistache ? Perhaps some of you Southern/ Plains burners might have a better idea.
2) American elm
3) baldcypress
4) white mulberry

Reactions: JSeery
1. Chinese Pistachio or some similar tree. Not any native tree.
2. American Elm
3. Bald Cypress or Dawn Redwood
4. White Mulberry