Tree ID Please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad its sasafrass, very low btu's.

Well, if it is sasafrass, and by the last couple posts here I would say that I am going to take the opinion of the group, then that is probably why it was dumped in the field. Tree service probably knew it had no value. This is going to be next season wood anyhow, so it will be the shoulder season stuff. Free is good!

heatit said:
Well, if it is sasafrass, and by the last couple posts here I would say that I am going to take the opinion of the group, then that is probably why it was dumped in the field. Tree service probably knew it had no value. This is going to be next season wood anyhow, so it will be the shoulder season stuff. Free is good!

Free is GOOD I've scrouged a bunch of Red Maple from my property over the last few years, I have a junk stack just for the shoulder season.

WoodBucther

I have tons of sassafrass here and I try to avoid it somewhat. It splits super easy, is light, smells good, you can make tea from the roots, but is mostly ash when you burn itt. The bark and grain sure look like sassafras and they can get pretty big. I have so much that I have to burn some of it just to clear them out of the woods and some of them just die.

I'm no expert, but I have a lot of sassafras in my forest and I've never known it to get that big here in South Jersey. Also, none of it seems to grow straight. It twists and curls, probably because of it's non-dense grain. I would think that tree grew pretty straight and very tall. I have a field guide that says frass only gets to be 25-30 feet tall. Bark does resemble frass, but I don't think the meat does. that looks like red oak.

that bark and the rings in the wood being very easy to see. it looks like a locust tree i got last year.

+1 woods dweller
Not sayin it aint sass, but holy crap, never seen one that big before.
check with them record book fellers that's got a beer named after em'

How about butternut? I don't think its locust. Locust has a lime green tint to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.