Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
Does anyone know what kind of tree this is? Its a young tree only about 3" around. I have very few of them, but the ones I do all seem smallish in size. The area is mid Minnesota, and the tree grows in the river bottom area. This river bottom area will flood over in the spring, so the tree obviously can handle low, wet ground. The surrounding mature trees are all Green Ash, with a couple oaks mixed in. The bark is lighter in color with a rough texture. The photo ID on my cell phone says it could be Black Ash. Whatever it is, the deer sure love to rub their antlers on every one of these trees they can find. If it is Black Ash, it may explain why a handful of mature Ash trees seem to have a lighter colored bark.

IMG-9724.JPG IMG-9721.JPG

I am not sure what it is, but looking at the branches can help you identify if it is an ash. Ash trees and maple trees have opposite branching. Most others have alternate. It does not look like a maple, so if it has opposite branching it is probably a type of ash.

IMG_0200.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s not elm since there are a few in the area. Their bark is a bit smoother compared to the tree in the photos

I found this pic of black ash bark on the minnesotawildflowers.info website. I would call that a match. It looks just like your pic of the bark.

Screenshot_20240207_213057_Firefox.jpg

Wow, thanks for the photo. I couldn’t find a decent photo in my search. What surprised me more is I had no idea an iPhone had a built in ID feature and it was even correct.

To activate the feature you press on the starred ”I” symbol which brings up the lookup feature

DA06530E-00B3-4C32-B5EC-5A39E7C09EC0.png 04F0F397-FCB0-4BDB-AA53-06B147BC85B1.png