Jotul Oslo F500 V3 air leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is not accurate information concerning the operation of a Jotul Oslo V3. With the air closed, there will definitely be flames from primary and secondary burn, even with a tight stove.

No primary flames is what I meant.
I agree about the secondary.

I own a pe summit now and will never buy a stove with a ashpan again.
I've had good luck with the ashpans on my Palladian and Progress. I have to be careful not to overfill the ashpans so they don't overflow into the housing and also make sure the gaskets are in good shape.

Yes its more fussy than no ashpan but I get much less dust in the house.

My new pe stove creates such a light ash that it floats so easily...i do see more dust in room.

Look, there are a lot of debates about which type of flame is secondary (they do exist away from the tubes).

For no primary, only secondary flame, see at 5.22 here:

Of course this all depends on the time in the burn cycle, the wood, and the chimney (draft).

I've had enough debates today. Be well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MR. GLO
Look, there are a lot of debates about which type of flame is secondary (they do exist away from the tubes).

For no primary, only secondary flame, see at 5.22 here:

Of course this all depends on the time in the burn cycle, the wood, and the chimney (draft).

I've had enough debates today. Be well.

My V3 won't go that low even with the unregulated air holes covered. The minimum burn I can achieve is at about 5:14 in the video you linked.

I could turn my old VC down so low that there would be no flames at all and every 15 seconds or so the gases inside the burn box would suddenly ignite and create a mini explosion and a WHOOSH sound. I would have to turn the draft up a little so that those mini explosions wouldn't cause smoke to puff out the top loading door.

The “One size fits all” designs on some of these stoves is just too difficult. A stove with a 16ft chimney will perform very differently than the same one with a 29ft chimney. There needs to be better allowance / adjustments for different installations.
Its OK, from what I have read on here the EPA has issued a notice that testing will be better from now on.