Natural Gas Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Natural gas prices are on the rise, hitting $5.40/MMBtu today, the highest they have been in 8 years, with a probable chance of heading higher due to tightness in the natural gas market. The situation could be made worse if unseasonably cold temperatures are seen this winter.

I hope you have a good supply of wood for the winter, I know I'm glad that I do.

Never lived in a place with natural gas available. My old house had it at one time, but the system had been long since abandoned when I moved there in 1999.

Natural gas is nice with a seemingly unlimited supply, but if the station goes out then your supply goes out too.

Glad to have a good stash of pellets, and a propane tank where the gas is there till I use it up. Just me here it’s once every 2 years. And if I really had to, I’ve got 5 acres of woods behind the house to cut from.

$5.93/MMBtu today.

Looks like it doesn't matter what you heat with, gas, propane, oil, pellets it's all going to be expensive this winter. I would assume electricity prices will also rise with gas prices.

I cannot get natural gas where I am .in a drafty old cabin and heat 24/7 with wood.have 10000 watts of baseboard heat that is seldom used.if I had to heat with electric it would be 500+ a month.as it is right now heating with wood electric bill for 2020 was 740 for the whole year.

$5.93/MMBtu today.

Looks like it doesn't matter what you heat with, gas, propane, oil, pellets it's all going to be expensive this winter. I would assume electricity prices will also rise with gas prices.
In 08 (and I think 2014) prices for fuel also rose. While traveling rural roads at the time, I was surprised at how many people were using wood for heat. It seemed that every other porch had a stack of wood, every class A chimney was being used. Some would load a horse trailer with wood and park it next to the front door. A country boy can survive.

Reactions: sloeffle
I've heard crazy predictions about the price of heating fuels this year as well as winter temps. We shall how it all plays out but I am so happy I burn wood :cool:

Yikes, kind of looks like a hockey shtick.

1.jpg
Or maybe not.

3.jpg

2.jpg

LP is now over $2.00/G up,here but I had my 500 gallon tank filled in June for $1.29/G and that will last me the winter with the help of the free wood I have to burn.

Reactions: vinny11950
LP is $2.45/g here. No NG available where I'm at unless you head south to Springfield. @Sawset 2014 was the year that LP got north of $4/g here but got over $5 in other places in the midwest I believe.

LP is $2.45/g here. No NG available where I'm at unless you head south to Springfield. @Sawset 2014 was the year that LP got north of $4/g here but got over $5 in other places in the midwest I believe.
Some places around were filling a 500gallon tank, yet going through it in 3 weeks, for just an average sized house (a leaky one at that). Quite an incentive to weatherize and/or find an alternative.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Yes I believe it was the winter of 2013/2014 that there was a shortage of LP and prices went through the roof.

That was also probably the hardest winter in recent times, at least here.
Areas that the snow was removed had frost down 7ft. Lots of frozen underground water mains, and people without water for weeks or months, whenever the city could get the repair scheduled in. And the repair meant melting all that ice to get to it.

It was cold....and we got snow here in the first part of May that year. Not much like 3 inches but very uncommon to say the least.

That was also probably the hardest winter in recent times, at least here.
Yep that winter we had 138 inches of snow and 22 inches of it fell on May 10th and there was no January thaw or any thaw that winter for that matter, it was a winter to remember, the pain index was off the scale for that season lol And then to add insult to injury the LP prices were in the stratosphere. Luckily for me I started burning scrounge wood a few years earlier.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Grizzerbear
Winter started beginning of November and never stopped. I had so much snow by Christmas that I could only keep room one car cleared out. First winter I felt the need to shovel my roof. Even by the end of April there was ice 6 feet thick on the breakwall. The year before that I was camping at the end of April. Went to the UP and saw snow on Memorial Day. I believe that winter the Great Lakes had record or near record ice cover. That was the only reason the lake effect snow stopped.

Today marked the largest single day increase of natural gas prices in US history. Up 72% to $6.265/mmbtu

By the sounds of it US LNG suppliers are buying gas on spot trying to find enough supply for Europe, especially given the ongoing tensions with Russia.

Natural gas broke $8/mmbtu today.

It's appears there is now enough LNG export capacity for European and Asian prices to start influencing North American prices.

Good for producers, not so much for domestic consumers though.

The price of lumber still lingers at gouge prices as well. Our local big box lumber stores are loaded to the gills. Absolutely no shortage, but you can survive most days of the year without an $8.00 2x4 stud. Something has to give. The big boys and their lumber commodity funding will most likely pull the rug out and cash out.....probably already are and moving that money into fuel futures and driving the fuel markets up.

probably already are and moving that money into fuel futures and driving the fuel markets up.
Saudi Arabia and Russia have already done that.