Neat little campfire trick.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turn_n_burn

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2015
Idaho
So I got bored the other day and decided to try out an idea I had. I have a fire in our fire pit most every night, and am an unabashed lover of foods cooked over open fires. I've always liked most any kind of meat roasted over a Pine/Fir fire, that's just what we are used to in the intermountain region. However, I decided to change things up a bit.I had just finished noodling a big cherry round I got from a guy who has a small orchard, and didn't want all those beautiful, long shavings to go to waste. I'm impatient by nature and don't have a smoker, so I built a normal Lodgepole fire (the cherry is still green), got out my hot dog stick, and threw a pile of the noodles on top,and I'll be damned if that wasn't the best *smoked* dog I've ever had. Just thought I'd share that. Anyone else tried this or some similar technique?

Just imagine how much better it may taste if you actually used a smoker with those cherry shavings==c

Reactions: NWfuel
I have a bunch of small alder rounds that I use for smoking and grilling. The rounds are 4-6" wide and cut to about 2" lengths. It only takes a minute to turn them into chunks with a hatchet. I keep a box of the chunks by the back door and put a few on the grill when using my BBQ.

Pork and chicken usually do well on cherry smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.