Nee help with understanding VT Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmtnman

Jan 3, 2008
Green Mtn's
I'm looking at the repair/replacement parts list I found with help of your site.
I found a new cat for the stove now I'm hoping to pick up a nib refractory.
My question is the side heat deflector #39 #40 how do they fit in. If you look at the picture the tops of both 39 / 40 are bent with a 45% outward. I don't understand how they match up to the plate #45 that fits on top of the refractory # 41?
I have no idea as when I got this stove the cat and the refractory were all broken up.
I have more question's but that enough for now and my brain.

greenmtnman said:
I'm looking at the repair/replacement parts list I found with help of your site. I found a new cat for the stove now I'm hoping to pick up a nib refractory. My question is the side heat deflector #39 #40 how do they fit in. If you look at the picture the tops of both 39 / 40 are bent with a 45% outward. I don't understand how they match up to the plate #45 that fits on top of the refractory # 41?

What model # and how old is this stove? Your parts listing isn't matching mine. Do you have a link to the parts list that matches yours? I just had to do a similar operation on my stove for the same exact reasons. However my stove was a 2005 unit so the parts list may be different than yours. I had to remove all the firebrick and rear baffle to pull out the catalytic element and cover. Then I had to pull out the side shields which involved loosening inside bolts and rear bolts that hold up the bypass damper. After this, I could remove the refractory box that was held in place with a couple of screws.

I have no idea as when I got this stove the cat and the refractory were all broken up.I have more question's but that enough for now and my brain.

I found that my refractory material was cracked when I did my first catalytic clean/inspection. It either happened in shipment (which is what VC said) or maybe happened during operation of the stove. The refractory board is really brittle ceramic fiber and breaks easily. My catalyst was intact, but they can be cracked due to thermal shock if you burn wet wood or otherwise abuse the unit. It was starting to develop hairline cracks though (which I gather is normal from what I've read). For the record, I no longer own this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.