Need a 2nd Lighter Saw - Jonsered or Echo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
I have shoulder issues and am deciding if a lighter saw for limbing and doing most of the cuts makes sense. I currently have a 46cc Craftsman 18" that has a mufler mod, the muffler was stuffed with a cat-conv, and tuned. It runs very well and cuts good for what I need. However, it weighs more then what is necessary for 95% of the cuts.

After a lot of research for a lighter saw that would compliment the 46cc I narrowed it down to the Echo CS310, Echo CS352 or Jonsered CS2240 (same as a Husky 440). The biggest bang for the buck is the Jonsered. Its 40 cc, cost the same as the 30cc CS310, and about $40 less then the 34cc CS352. But it does weigh about 1/2 pound more then the Echo's. However, it is definitely lighter then the Craftsman but at 40cc it would probably replace it rather then compliment it.

I am open to suggestions and experience from others. I could get the Jonsered and sell the Craftsman for a few dollars. But, I hate selling on craigslist. Please keep in mind that cost does matter and that I only cut a couple cords of Oak a year. These Oaks, aka scrub oaks, are wild and wooly with lots of branches, twists and turns. No need for a saw larger then 46cc and 18".

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-310

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-352

https://www.jonsered.com/us/products/chainsaws/cs2240/965893002/

Look at the dolmar 421 or the new makita 4300(I think). Very reasonable price for a pro saw build quality. And they cut with the size bigger class if that makes any since. Mine will out cut a stock stihl 029super. Its 55cc

Ended up finding a good deal on the Echo CS352. Will MM and retune. Stay tuned :)

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
This is also posted on a chainsaw forum:

I used the cs352 yesterday and was very disappointed. It stalled a lot when idling. After about every 10th-15th cut the saw would return to idle then die. And it would take 3-4 pulls to restart. It was also a bit slow, hesitant, from idle to mid to high speed. After 10 mins of this non sense I bagged it for the day and moved onto something else.

This morning I decided to take advantage of removing the limiters and tune the saw. But, before that, I took a look at the muffler and decided to do a minor mod. Their is a deflector at the output of the muffler that redirects half the exhaust at ninety degrees back into the other half of the exhaust flow. I removed that, left the spark arrestor in place, then tuned the low speed and idle. I also tuned Hi speed in the wood. The saw runs very good now and given the weight to power ratio, I really like it.

The largest branches that needed attention were not over 8 inches although clearly the saw is capable of more. And, it was actually fun to throw around this light of a saw. I should have bought a second smaller saw years ago!

Muffler.jpg

Reactions: duramaxman05
This is also posted on a chainsaw forum:

I used the cs352 yesterday and was very disappointed. It stalled a lot when idling. After about every 10th-15th cut the saw would return to idle then die. And it would take 3-4 pulls to restart. It was also a bit slow, hesitant, from idle to mid to high speed. After 10 mins of this non sense I bagged it for the day and moved onto something else.

This morning I decided to take advantage of removing the limiters and tune the saw. But, before that, I took a look at the muffler and decided to do a minor mod. Their is a deflector at the output of the muffler that redirects half the exhaust at ninety degrees back into the other half of the exhaust flow. I removed that, left the spark arrestor in place, then tuned the low speed and idle. I also tuned Hi speed in the wood. The saw runs very good now and given the weight to power ratio, I really like it.

The largest branches that needed attention were not over 8 inches although clearly the saw is capable of more. And, it was actually fun to throw around this light of a saw. I should have bought a second smaller saw years ago!

View attachment 245584
You can thank the fine epa for having a new saw run crappy. It's amazingehst just retuning and muffler mod will do for a saw

I have shoulder issues and am deciding if a lighter saw for limbing and doing most of the cuts makes sense. I currently have a 46cc Craftsman 18" that has a mufler mod, the muffler was stuffed with a cat-conv, and tuned. It runs very well and cuts good for what I need. However, it weighs more then what is necessary for 95% of the cuts.

After a lot of research for a lighter saw that would compliment the 46cc I narrowed it down to the Echo CS310, Echo CS352 or Jonsered CS2240 (same as a Husky 440). The biggest bang for the buck is the Jonsered. Its 40 cc, cost the same as the 30cc CS310, and about $40 less then the 34cc CS352. But it does weigh about 1/2 pound more then the Echo's. However, it is definitely lighter then the Craftsman but at 40cc it would probably replace it rather then compliment it.

I am open to suggestions and experience from others. I could get the Jonsered and sell the Craftsman for a few dollars. But, I hate selling on craigslist. Please keep in mind that cost does matter and that I only cut a couple cords of Oak a year. These Oaks, aka scrub oaks, are wild and wooly with lots of branches, twists and turns. No need for a saw larger then 46cc and 18".

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-310

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-352

https://www.jonsered.com/us/products/chainsaws/cs2240/965893002/

If possible, you should consider the Echo 501P. More expensive, but nice and light weight plus a lot of power.

If possible, you should consider the Echo 501P. More expensive, but nice and light weight plus a lot of power.

That is a nice chainsaw. However, I already have a 18" 46cc with a MM. I needed a lighter saw and the cs352 is 8.8 lbs, 10 lbs 4 ounces with bar and chain.

I think for most that have property and cut their own wood, the Echo CS-400 is hard to beat with a MM and for a one saw quiver. Otherwise, something like the cs352 and a ~50cc+. I have been cutting my own Oak firewood for many years and the 18" 46cc has always gotten the job done. I tore my rotator cuff and am older now so a small light saw is very much appreciated.

You can thank the fine epa for having a new saw run crappy. It's amazingehst just retuning and muffler mod will do for a saw

As a native Californian, I am too familiar with govt intrusion and control ;) However, the epa has improved the air quality. And I really like the efficiency of my wood stove.

I did a MM on the 46cc and it did improve it. Im going to run a few tanks of gas through the cs352 before that mufller gets gutted. Cant wait!!

Reactions: duramaxman05
That is a nice chainsaw. However, I already have a 18" 46cc with a MM. I needed a lighter saw and the cs352 is 8.8 lbs, 10 lbs 4 ounces with bar and chain.

I think for most that have property and cut their own wood, the Echo CS-400 is hard to beat with a MM and for a one saw quiver. Otherwise, something like the cs352 and a ~50cc+. I have been cutting my own Oak firewood for many years and the 18" 46cc has always gotten the job done. I tore my rotator cuff and am older now so a small light saw is very much appreciated.

Ah, got it! I have a little top handle also, which is super light but kind of dangerous... Believe it is 35cc. Almost wish I had a rear handle version.

I just got a Husqvarna 543XP and and a JonCutter top handled Chinese saw for the really small stuff. I like the Echo pole saws I have and the pro brush cutter too. They make good equipment that can be half the price of similar Stihl products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sppako3
I just got a Husqvarna 543XP and and a JonCutter too handled Chinese saw for the really small stuff. I like the Echo pole saws I have and the pro brush cutter too. They make good equipment that can be half the price of similar Stihl product.

If the Craftsman stops working I will most likely replace it with a $80 ebay Chinese saw. Which is exactly what the Craftsman is. The cs-352 cuts so well that it will be doing 80% of the work. Used it a couple more times and am very pleased with it.