need a bottle jack for my splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I bought this wood splitter last month: http://grizzly.com/products/8-Ton-Log-Splitte
r/H8100
. After just 1 day of use the bottle jack lost power and could only split small
pieces. So the company sent me another, which was even less functional and leaked
hydraulic fluid. So they sent me another which lasted as long as the first. So it's clear
they don't have good bottle jacks.

However, I really like the overall machine and would like to substitute a quality
jack and keep it in service. So now I have 2 problems: How to determine who makes quality
bottle jacks, and who makes them with spring lever returns for foot operation. Anybody know?

I don't know where you'll be able to find a quality replacement, but it may be possible to fix the cylinders you have now. If it's not an external leak, it's likely the seat is not setting correctly for the release. Obviously most of these style jacks have a screw style release, so I'm not familiar with your set up. Can you take some pictures of it ?

With only one day of use, seems pretty unlikely to be actual wear of 'hard parts'. You might take a look at things like seals, check valves, springs, o-rings, fluid level, etc. Perhaps a fluid top-off or a replacement seal from who ever you consider quality might restore the jacks to working order.

I have one from Sears about 10 years old, that has always worked. I think it's a 1 ton, about $15 then. They can leak if there upside down. You might think about using this opportunity to get a refund. Not only because the pump is crap, but I think you will split a few rounds before you find it to be way to slow and way to much work. Not that I had one, but 1/4 inch of movement per pump, I would be done before the first round, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j and jb6l6gc
Status
Not open for further replies.