Need a decent outdoor remote temperature meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Can anyone recommend me a brand to look out for? One of those sensors that sits outside and transmits the temp back indoors. Prefer one that shows indoor temps to 0.1 degrees too.

Thanks

Dean

We have the Davis Vantage Pro weather station. It must be at least 5 years old now and it has worked great...Customer service has been excellent..It does the whole weather deal wind, temp, humidity barometer etc..., ..Install was fast and easy.

Vintage 181 said:
We have the Davis Vantage Pro weather station. It must be at least 5 years old now and it has worked great...Customer service has been excellent..It does the whole weather deal wind, temp, humidity barometer etc..., ..Install was fast and easy.

Vin where did you get it?

Got it thanks.

Davis is top notch. I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 on my Christmas wish list. Best price I've found so far is $473 for the #6152 wireless station.

We have an Oregon Scientific. it works pretty good and the model that we have came with 2 remote sensors as well. so we keep the temp in the living room, outside and the kid's room. it also keeps track of the barametric pressure, the time via the atomic clock in CO and give a general 24hour weather prediction.

We have a unit from Oregon Scientific that does indoor temp, outdoor temp via transmitter, crude barometric weather forecasting, and self sets it's time via the US Gov't time signal radio. It is a nice unit.

I'm not sure how waterproof the sensor is, so I keep it on the back porch. If I really needed it to be outside I'd probably just put it in a plastic food container like a 1 qt. yogurt cup.

The barometric forecast is not always accurate, but isn't too bad. Also it doesn't give the number for the pressure, just icons.

The time is dead on accurate, and can be set to display several different versions.

The base has a laser thingy on the top that is supposed to let it project the time and temps onto a wall or ceiling. We haven't found that it works very well, but that is possibly just because our room isn't suitable for it.

We got the unit as a gift, so I don't have a source, but Oregon Scientific is a very common brand there are lots of places all over the web that sell their stuff, and they have lots of different models with a wide range of capabilities.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.