Need a new wood stove, englander NC32 Vs 15-W08?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I ordered the Drolet Escape 2100.

it arrived a week later ( Today)! It is still sitting on a pallet in the yard, and I might even burn it out there a time or two to set the paint.

anyway, I ordered the Outside air intake with it.

instructions say to NOT go down through the floor, but go out a wall?
what is the reasoning there?
The reasoning is that it requires outside air. Basement air is a no-go. It can go down through the floor if it then takes a 90º turn to get to the outside wall for the intake. It can also draw from a fully ventilated, open crawlspace.

You can go down through the floor, but they then they still want you to go to the outside wall to pull in fresh air.

A leaky house works the sale, as does a slightly cracked window.

I’d rather do the above (top) with a long run from outside wall through floor joists and up through the floor just to warm the air slightly before getting to the stove. Never did like the idea of an outside air connection via a short run behind the stove through a wall. Seems like a bad place for condensation to build, not to mention super cold air from outside has to cool the stove by a much greater degree than simply using room air to run the stove. So I’m not sold on the idea but of I was I’d want a longer run to help pre-heat some of the air. A 50 degree basement is better than pulling air that is zero into the stove.

Just one opinion on the matter…

The reasoning is that it requires outside air. Basement air is a no-go. It can go down through the floor if it then takes a 90º turn to get to the outside wall for the intake. It can also draw from a fully ventilated, open crawlspace.
I would think even a vented crawl space could be an issue in homes with gas appliances (cookstove, water heater, etc.) if there was a leak. Not sure if the gas would be heavier than air, but if it were then it would certainly be an issue with a leak and pulling air from a crawl space. Of course, that thought begs the question is the gas heavier than the air? I don’t know. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Of course, such a condition would be a cause for concern even with electric lined run under the floor, let alone for a stove.

Your thoughts in that regard, Begreen?

How would the gas leak get through the floor barrier? One might think that by that time the wood stove would have ignited the gas in the room.

Zero gas appliances here

electric, and wood stove. that is it.

the stove is in a room that is over an UN enclosed crawl space, I will close it in eventually and when I do that I will extend the OAK into the "outside"

is there anything else that I am missing here?
edit- Begreen, for some reason I did not see your original post. that answer it for me, If I can do a 90 and go outside once I enclose the crawl space I will do so.

Thank you Sir.

How would the gas leak get through the floor barrier? One might think that by that time the wood stove would have ignited the gas in the room.
My propane line comes through my crawl space in through the kitchen floor. Tank sits outside the kitchen wall on the back patio…been there since 1954. The outside patio out back is lower than the first floor, so it goes through crawl space. Pretty common around here.

I would think that would be good enough reason not to pull from air in the crawl space itself, but through the crawl space from an OAC in that regard.

Last edited:
I know you already decided what stove to go with but since it was mentioned earlier in the thread figured I’d give an update on my Nc32 in case others come to this thread looking for info.

So I only have a couple months of burning on it from last season, but I really like this stove. It has very controllable burns, but you really need to use dry properly seasoned wood to get the most out of your burn times and to be able to turn the stove down low. I had some splits that weren’t all the way seasoned last season and it required some fiddling to get it to burn properly with them. With dry wood though, it’s very easy. Heats my 1600 sqft home very nicely.

Reactions: begreen