Need a wood stove for a drafty home 1600 Sq ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it already has a Dbl sided fire place which if removed a refigured looks like a pretty big stove could go there. Im DBL wall all way thru roof But its not tall enuff .Can I connect Non Dbl wall to thee Dbl wall after penetrating the roof ? just to get higher .. Me thinks its legal but must some kind of fitting to keep water etc from going dwn outter wall of the dbl wall when i stick reg stove pipe in the inner hole? understand maybe a picture?

That could be complicated. The double wall pipe could be air cooled in which case it's not rated for wood stove use. One option that may be less expensive is to install an insert and put a grill on the back side opening. Then a liner can be run up the chimney. How tall and wide is the fireplace opening?

It needs to remain double wall Class A pipe all the way to the top. Is this double wall pipe that you have in place the flue from the fireplace? If so, it's not rated to be used with a woodstove. It would need to be removed and replaced with Class A chimney pipe.

Dbl wall from fir place to Cap I need to make longer So i must buy near 100$ joints o this mess .. Hmmm ok .. we ll see a work arounds somewhere in the house single wall roll together pipes ok till it penetrates something ? its what i see in jotul adds look in their pics ?

the length i need is above my roof outside the frame of house

Ive not really been looking at inserts as Eff. goes Dwn the wall my Dbl fireplce is can be modifyed for a stove easily I will post a pic My FP is a Preway Fp 50 built in older members may know of it

ive no chimney

I guess to im in Dilema over material to. Cast Iron or plate steel seems to me plate steel is getting thinner n thinner etc cast is getting terribly cheap i know China has metalurgy issues badly . so we want to steer clear of that

I think you need a qualified and certified chimney sweep to inspect and determine what is useable or not from this fireplace. This could be a dangerous situation if not done correctly.

Here are two sources for certified sweeps. Enter your zip code and it will list those in your area.
http://www.ncsg.org/
http://www.csia.org/

i ll post pics of the joints ive got in my walls sposedly its correct i doubt i'll be paying folks to come over n tell me that i'll just ring up the home mfgr 100 miles away and find out . Others here locally in same model home Exactly have done Exactly same but installed cheap junk from china have pics too.. I am a Foreigner , European had single wall pipes in living spaces since the early 50's maybe a lil different here

a pic IMG_0606.JPG

Ayight lets re vamp the question Spose i just dump FP idea Ive a blank wall build a hearth and bckboard etc all approved by thee book NOW i need to Penetrate the outside wall But my question is Can i run the reg black singlewall stovepipe in the jotul pics to thee fitting on wall which penetrates studs etc ? this pipe lets more heat out of it inside house like to keep all the heat i can inside or is what i see in jotul pics strictly for the picture ..

What Wood burning Stove Models should be avoided ?? freestanding type not inserts or heaters plumbed into air handlers

did the new yorker ever sell the white jotul ? cannot search n find Doh​

I have done exactly what you are talking about a few times. I removed the fireplace and all the framing, put Dura-Rock and tile on the walls. I removed the fireplace flue, and used the same roof penetration and flashing for the new class A chimney.

If you don't do an insert, the chimney is not allowed to be used for the woodstove. If you went with an insert, a SS liner could be dropped down the chimney. I would highly recommend that you go up with the chimney as opposed to out the wall with a Tee. In Modular homes, it's hard to get the flue high enough to draw good. Going straight up would be best.

Single wall stove pipe is used from the stove up to the ceiling, where it connects to the chimney. Single wall will put out some heat, but not enough to be a real gain. It also builds more creosote and at times, can effect draft. I also believe Double Wall Stove pipe is required in a Modular home.

yes dbl wall must go thru the home or structure I dont think insert is way to go Chimney legal or Not I ll fix that system so i can send up it what ever I want But To make It a bit hi er I must continue W joints of thee dbl wall Above thee Structure ?in free air ? id like my stack 10-15 feet off thee roof be expensive id dbl class A all way ive a metal roof too

Status
Not open for further replies.