Need Advice - Best cleaning method Harman Accentra pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchriverantiques

Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2008
Central MA
Hi all. We have had our stove since Nov. All is good, but I am getting black soot everywhere. Don't tell Hubby, but I am fairly sure it is due to his cleaning method. What should he do when he first opens the stove glass door? What is a good cheap vacuum we can use? Any suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!

Take the cast iron plates out, and scrape out the heat exchangers. You can get an ash vac for between 200-220. Also clean where the ignitor is held underneath the burn pot by taking the two wings nuts out. There should also be a plate behind the ash pan that you get to the combustion blower. That is also a good place to clean.

For vaccuuming I use a Shop Vac and buy the fine dust filter bags made for cold ash and sheet rock dust . This way no dust inside my house from the ashes, and the wife doesn't yell at me ;-). If you go this method just be sure the ashes are COLD before you clean them out!!! The vaccuum is just a 6 gallon vac so it's light and easy to lug up from the basement when needed.

frenchriverantiques said:
Hi all. We have had our stove since Nov. All is good, but I am getting black soot everywhere. Don't tell Hubby, but I am fairly sure it is due to his cleaning method. What should he do when he first opens the stove glass door? What is a good cheap vacuum we can use? Any suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!

Is the soot you are referring to the fine "powder" that collects on picture frames, ledges or any flat surface? If so, have the hubby put a small light weight tarp over the unit when he cleans. He should also be wearing a surgical mask or one of those ventilator devices that the filters can be changed when they get dirty.
I use a clear plastic painters tarp over the top of mine, and sort of sit under it while cleaning. Instead of the soot floating up and around the place,,,it collects on the tarp....a simple shake of it outside gets rid of it. :)

I use an old shop vac with an extra hose attached to the outlet side that I put out the window.

This way, any fine dust that might get through the paper filter goes outside.

Yes, the black stuff on frames, ledges etc... I am getting sick of it!
I will print all your answers & give to Hubby. I appreciate your input!
Thank you ssooooooooo much!

Buy a hose to fit the exhaust side of the vac, then put a sock on the end. Make sure the ashes are cold before vacuuming.

Ok another dumb question how long does it take for a pellet stove to cool down enough to clean it? I see people say they clean them daily? does it take longer to heat back up? I know I cannot let my woodstove go cold to clean but thats it. I am getting my pellet stove next week. so I will be ready for next winter.

Shawn

When I put my Englander into shutdown mode it takes approx. an hour to cool down. Once it's shutdown, it takes about 15 minutes to vaccuum it thouroughly and scrape the burn pot, then another 10 minutes to get it going again. So total down time is about 30 - 40 minutes without heat. I'm sure it could be done faster, but I'm too OCD to not clean it completely every time.

rap69ri said:
When I put my Englander into shutdown mode it takes approx. an hour to cool down. Once it's shutdown, it takes about 15 minutes to vaccuum it thouroughly and scrape the burn pot, then another 10 minutes to get it going again. So total down time is about 30 - 40 minutes without heat. I'm sure it could be done faster, but I'm too OCD to not clean it completely every time.

How often do you do this cleaning? I don't always have an hour every day to clean it. I can do it 2 - 3 times a week no problem.

Thanks
Shawn

I perform the thorough cleaning every 2-3 days. I clean out the burn pot area once a day, but that only entails taking a scoop to dump the ashes over the side into the ash holding area.

Status
Not open for further replies.