Need advice for choosing SS chimney liner for Hotblast 1557 Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2008
West Central Ohio
Hi All. I just bought a US Stove Co Hotblast 1557M central wood furnace that is installed in the basement. My existing interior masonry chimney consists of one wythe of brick and then the 6-1/2" x 11" flue liner. It is in good shape so I connected my wood furnace directly to the chimney in the basement. My concern is when I have a good hot fire, the chimney is pretty hot to the touch on both the 1st and 2nd floors. Even though the chimney liner is in good shape, I'd feel better spending the extra money on a stainless steel liner.

I have a nice, straight shot 27' chimney that i need help determining whether a flexible or rigid liner would be better. I'll do it myself, with the help of a few friends. I've noticed two type of SS; 304 & 316-which is better or what are the differences? How do i configure the bottom in the basement? I was thinking about leaving my exisiting black 24 ga. pipe to go into a new stainless steel tee, where i could have a cap on the bottom, allowing me to remove the cap so i can clean it. If i do this, i'd have to cut (and either cover or brick back in) a hole in the opposite side of the chimney-which i am weary about. Are there any good diagrams or sketches online that anyone could point me at?

Thanks in advance for all the help. Happy New Year.
-Lance

This outta bump it back towards the top.
Should I have a flue thermometer on my system? Where are some good online suppliers/vendors for wood stove/furnace/chimney/etc related items?

Status
Not open for further replies.