Need advice from Lopi AGP owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GillesL

Apr 9, 2020
Montreal, QC
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to see a Lopi AGP freestanding stove early next week, as a potential first pellet stove purchase, for installation over the summer and use as of next fall.

It seems in good condition, and the seller says it is fully functional. It comes with the interior stove pipe, outdoor chimney I believe, and some accessories and bags of pellets. The owner has moved and has no room to install it in his new home, so it has to go. The price is pretty interesting if it is in good shape.

I've read a lot about the AGP and they seem decently built. I've also read about the initial batch of weak auger motors, but I'm assuming this has been adressed. Is there anything else I should look out for?

I will plug it in and at least see the auger move and blowers turn on , and make sure the igniter works.

The owner gave me lots of info on cleaning and maintenance, so I'm assuming it was at least sometimes done. I guess I'll see once I'm there in person.

As far as the exterior panels go, if they are scratched or could use a refreshing, is it relatively easy to repaint them with high temperature paint?

Does anybody know since when Lopi have been making the AGP? I can't seem to find the info online.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

When I bought my house in 2001 it came equipped with a Lopi pellet stove which I replaced in 2013 with a Harman P61A.

I don't know the model, but the Lopi, while a bit loud, was built like a tank. A very solid heavy duty construction and its only drawback was that it had a very small ash pan and didn't have the flexibility as far as temperature settings and different modes of operation. I still have it collecting dust in my basement and I've convinced myself that it may go into another outside green house building I've promised to build myself someday (A bit delusional on my part probably)....

The Lopi required extensive cleaning far more than my Harman. Mostly due to its size and early design. When I decided to upgrade, I researched many brands including Lopi. In the end I had whittled down my choices to the Harman and, I think, the Lopi AGP.......The deciding factor was the Harman being a bit larger and requiring less cleaning as well as the fact that there's a Harman dealer about 6 miles from my house.

One bit of advice is to run the Lopi for a bit and listen to the sound it creates....You may discover that it's too loud for your needs and opt for either a different brand of pellet stove or not getting a pellet stove period. They all create ambient noise, far more than say a propane or natural gas or wood stove will create. However, some pellet stoves are simply more quiet than others....But make sure you run the stove for some time as the noise may start out very tolerable but as it cranks up it may get louder. Or it may not.....

As far as touching up dings, or rust spots, or blemishes, yes, high temp. paint can easily take care of such things. Just don't skimp on it and buy a cheap product. Get a good quality brand of paint and obviously avoid painting any of the sensitive motors, electronics, etc....

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the advice, I'll make sure to start it up and listen to the noise the mechanicals make while it is running. I'll post an update here after I go see it.

You're welcome.....Good luck. By the way, before pulling the trigger, I suggest checking out this website as much as possible. This place is a great resource and if you can find some threads relating to first time pellet stove buyers and the "do's and don't" of pellet stoves, read it thoroughly as being informed about all things pellet stoves is a good thing before buying one. Especially threads about such things as the availability of replacement parts, service, and pellet brands and sources in your general area.

After all, buying one is just the beginning. Knowing about repairing one and if there's service in your area, and if there's a good, reliable source of pellets year in year to feed it, etc....Is vital if you plan on using it for several years. This site is great for all these things.....

Reactions: Ssyko
Just a quick update on my possible purchase. The stove had been stored for the winter, and badly stored at that. It was beginning to rust at a few places on the outer panels, and the interior was filthy. Soot everywhere I looked, and this after the seller kept telling me that to run properly, such a stove had to be kept clean. I'm not looking for such a reclamation project, so I'll keep looking for something clean and well maintaned. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll find something. In the meantime, I'll keep reading the great information in this forum. I'll be a more informed buyer and pellet stove owner when the time comes.

Good decision as you obviously would not have heard how it sounded or performed in a properly cleaned condition. There's plenty of used pellet stoves out there so you'll find a good one I've no doubt. Good luck and keep us in the loop moving forward...

Well, we're relatively close but still several hours away.....I'm far closer to Ottawa and even closer to Kingston.

Looking for a used stove, members J Revington
In Bellville or SSYKO in Lorraine are close to you
Jeff (Jrevington)is a dealer. I am a Canadian just north of Kingston Ont.
Good luck with your search

Jremington and I are about 30 min from the thousand islands bridge.

I have a 2009 era Yankee Bay insert, overall I like it but the convection blower is a bit noisy but like P51 said, it's a tank. So much so that I bought another Lopi for when I'm able to finish building me new house, Leyden Pellet stove, thing weighs 390 lbs....