need advice on my harman mark iii coal/wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

devin K

Sep 18, 2017
PA
Ok I recently bought a house and I got a hold of my insurance group to make sure it was up to code and it's not so I remodeled the hearth. And now the stove it's a Harman Mark iii triple frame not sure what year old I imagine. It's in pretty bad shape the grates are warped to the point they are no good and the baffle up to is split wide open at the seem of the bend no cracks other than that but my question is it worth cutting that out n getting new plate bent n welded in and is that even possible with it being up to code any input would be appreciated

Were you planning to burn coal or wood? I believe that stove is coal only. Not many of us here burn coal, so you might get local advice there in PA where coal is more common.

Personally, I'd get a stove in better shape, whether new or used.

If you are planning on burning wood i would look for a new stove. Those harmans are very good coal stoves. And better than most combo units at burning wood. But they are still not very good when compared to a real woodstove.