Need advice on stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman460

Apr 30, 2008
SE Nebraska
Hello all, I recently bought a Big E with optional hopper extension, now I'm trying to figure out the best place to put it. If you can see the attached file, I've shown a layout of our house. It's an older farm house, with an open floor plan. I'm not trying to heat the whole house with this stove (although that would be nice), I am however trying to take the edge off the cold and heating bill (all electric). In the attached file, I've shown in red where I would like to put the stove. I think it's a good location, in the middle of the house, but the problem is that it is right next to the sliding glass door. The exhaust would go out of the wall right next to the door and it would exhaust in the "corner" of the patio. Would that work, or would it be better to run the exhaust up about 15 feet above the roofline of the cathedral ceiling area?

I can take some pictures of the outside of the house if that would help.

Thanks!
Pat

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 371
But the vent has to be 4 ft from the slider. Even if it`s the stationary side the inspector might not allow it as these doors can be reversed.
I`d get his ruling first..

Good point, and I thought I would have the inspector come out before I install the stove to be sure I'm going to be ok.

Does the whole run of exhaust vent need to be 4 feet from the door, or just the end of the exhaust (opening)?

Thanks again,
Pat

sandman460 said:
Good point, and I thought I would have the inspector come out before I install the stove to be sure I'm going to be ok.

Does the whole run of exhaust vent need to be 4 feet from the door, or just the end of the exhaust (opening)?

Thanks again,
Pat

I believe just the end. The intent is to keep undiluted exhaust from entering back into the house. (4ft from a door or window)

Ok, new layout. If I locate the stove in the corner of our living room, which is about 15 ft x 15ft, and because our main floor is a very open floor plan, would the heat migrate out of the living room enough to make the main floor comfortable? I'm thinking I might have to put a fan in the opening between the living room (LR) and dining room (DR), but would we get cooked out of the living room if this thing is pumping out the heat?

Our main floor is roughly 1300 square feet, a Big E is supposed to be able to heat 2200 square feet (within reason), so I'm thinking the main floor should be nice and cozy, with some heat migrating up the open stairway to the upstairs.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Pat

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 241
I liked the first arrangement better. My hunch is that if you put it in your 15X15 LR, that room might get to be uncomfortably warm. Certainly a fan or two to get the heat out of there could work, but your first location looked like the perfect spot to me. Nice open area where you should be able to get some nice nattural convection current going, and you wouldn't have to do as much to work against hot spots (and cold spots).
Just my 2 cents, and I can see how the installation might be simpler in the LR. Just make sure you consider what is the best solution long term, even if it costs you an extra couple hundred to get it done.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.