Need advice: Vermont Castings Montpelier vs Supreme Fusion 24

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matto

Nov 24, 2016
NY
Today I put a refundable deposit on a Vermont Casting Montpelier, but after reading about it I'm having second thoughts. I won't burn 24/7, but will be using the fireplace to light up a fire after work and weekends to warm up the house.

Everything I'm reading about the Montpelier says it's (a) harder to start than other units, (b) takes forever to heat up, and (c) is particularly finicky if the wood isn't extra dry. All of these are a bad fit for my usage. :-/

I am also considering the Supreme Fusion 24. It has no firebricks so I'm assuming it will heat up faster. But I can't find *any* reviews of this thing on the web and am scared to be a guinea pig. The door also opens the wrong way based on where I'll store the wood which seems like it will be annoying.

I like the look of the Montpelier, it fits perfectly, and am happy with the store where I'm buying it and their installers. Am I worrying unnecessarily about it's drawbacks, or will I be kicking myself for getting the wrong stove?

Last edited:
Running a modern EPA stove/insert with poorly seasoned wood will be a disappointing experience no matter what brand. Hard starting is just one symptom with unseasoned wood. Poor heat and a creosote generation are also symptoms.

By most reports the Montpelier is a decent insert if installed and run properly. The main complaint for it has been a noisy fan. Run it on low speed for a quieter experience.

Last edited:
I bought a Vermont Casting Montpelier insert and had it installed a few months ago. Still early in the burning season but have about a half cord through it, and I love it. I have no problems getting it started and it heats our place better than I had hoped. On a 30 degree day I have been able to get the 400 square foot room with the unit up to the mid seventies with little effort and the heat radiants to the other rooms well (high 60s in the farthest rooms-1500 square foot downstairs, heat doesn't reach upstairs very well but that is not the stove's fault). Fan has been updated (i read 6 or 7 years back) and there are no noise issues at all. I believe the issues people report with burning troubles are due to burning wet wood (remember seasoned wood is not necessarily dry wood).

Happy to chat with you more about the stove, just message me.

Thanks Mike. I'm glad you're happy with it! That sounds very promising.

My downstairs room with the stove is also about 400 sq ft and opens to another 400 sq feet of rooms (all downstairs w/ 8 ft ceilings)

But there is an open staircase next to the stove that opens to upstairs which is about 800 sq ft with high ceilings.

I am hoping this stove will be able to keep the downstairs warm and help assist the upstairs to rely less on the electric heat.

No problem. One thing that has helped me with learning how to operate the insert is an infrared thermometer, i bought one on amazon for less than $20, link is below. I found that I get consistent readings on the top of the door, right above the glass on the cast iron portion of the door. It is very helpful for me to see how different air settings, amounts of wood and wood orientation all effect the heat that I can get out of the stove.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I've had my Montpelier for a number of years now and it has performed well. Yes the blower is a little noisy but easy to get used to. Seasoned wood is a must and that goes with any stove. It provides good heat on the main floor and the heat rises up the staircase and provides plenty of heat on the second floor. Good luck with your purchase!

Today I put a refundable deposit on a Vermont Casting Montpelier, but after reading about it I'm having second thoughts. I won't burn 24/7, but will be using the fireplace to light up a fire after work and weekends to warm up the house.

Everything I'm reading about the Montpelier says it's (a) harder to start than other units, (b) takes forever to heat up, and (c) is particularly finicky if the wood isn't extra dry. All of these are a bad fit for my usage. :-/

I am also considering the Supreme Fusion 24. It has no firebricks so I'm assuming it will heat up faster. But I can't find *any* reviews of this thing on the web and am scared to be a guinea pig. The door also opens the wrong way based on where I'll store the wood which seems like it will be annoying.

I like the look of the Montpelier, it fits perfectly, and am happy with the store where I'm buying it and their installers. Am I worrying unnecessarily about it's drawbacks, or will I be kicking myself for getting the wrong stove?
I have had my VC Montpelier for several years now. Very happy with it. Yes wood needs to be dry. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I always get compliments when I have guests in my home