Need chainsaw advice...bigger or lighter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sirshredalot

Jan 11, 2016
Indiana
I'm down to buying a new saw and have narrowed my choices down to:
Echo cs501p vs stihl ms261....or
Echo cs600p vs stihl ms362.

Leaning heavily towards the echo because of price and warranty....lots of stihl dealers in my area but none of them can tell me why their saws are worth 150 more than an echo.
Before I start...my question has less to do with brand and more to so with utility.

My main concern is 50cc with a 20" bar is maxed out and the 60cc saws will run up to a 27" bar with the expense of added weight....ill never run a 27inch but the 60cc saws come with a 24in bar which would make dropping the bigger stuff easier.
This will be my primary/only saw for felling, trimming, and firewood.

What do you say? 50cc lighter and more nimble vs 60cc more power and bsr length?

I've got 30 mature trees to drop and cut this year...some of them are 30in+.

Please and thank you
God bless
Shred

The first 2 saws mentioned are to small for 30in plus trees....I know that for a fact as I run a pair of 260 Pros almost daily in my firewood business. I don't believe that here is such a thing as a single do all saw. I run several saws as they all serve a purpose...that is to save my back! I think a man is well served by running a min. of 2 saws. I grab the smaller saws to start on the top and when its time I grab a bigger saw to meet the task at hand. I know next to nothing about Echo saws but I am a Stihl fanboy and would suggest a 261 and a 461 for all of your cutting needs and IF I was forced to own 1.... it would be the 461 with no doubt.

I'm not planning on cutting large tree consitantly...ive got a bunch of standing dead timber(ash borer likes walnut and hickory too) and once it's dropped I'll just be maintaining things around the farm.
Id say 4 of these trees are 30inches...the rest are smaller....dont want to be laden with too big of a saw for trimming but don't want to be underpowered in a 20in walnut.

Good advice and thank you for the opinion.

God bless
Shred

I would aim to for bar lengths that are closer to the sweet spot for each displacement, rather than so close to the outer limits of what the saws can tolerate. In hardwood, I'd say 16" - 18" for 50cc, 20" at 60cc and 24" at 70cc. Yes, these are all conservative lengths but that means the work will be quicker, easier and more fun, and put less stress on the machine.

In your position, if I really and truly only wanted to own one saw that would do it all then I'd probably go for the 60cc option. I like the pro-level Stihl machines just fine but I wouldn't pay the premium on a new one either. I have little experience with Echo, but the general impression I get is that they're solid saws, if not exactly cutting-edge tech. They're probably a little less powerful, maybe the air filtration isn't quite as good, they don't have autotune, etc. Don't put too much stock in the warranty; the vast majority of mechanical failures are due to user error that would not be covered, not wear or manufacturing defects. Take a look at the Husqvarna 555 and Dolmar 6100 too.

If finances permitted, I'd prefer a 50cc / 70cc combination, with emphasis on the 50cc saw being a very nice-quality machine that I'd be happy to use all the time, and the 70cc being something secondhand / cheaper / rougher, suited for occasional use.

I would aim to for bar lengths that are closer to the sweet spot for each displacement, rather than so close to the outer limits of what the saws can tolerate. In hardwood, I'd say 16" - 18" for 50cc, 20" at 60cc and 24" at 70cc. Yes, these are all conservative lengths but that means the work will be quicker, easier and more fun, and put less stress on the machine.

In your position, if I really and truly only wanted to own one saw that would do it all then I'd probably go for the 60cc option. I like the pro-level Stihl machines just fine but I wouldn't pay the premium on a new one either. I have little experience with Echo, but the general impression I get is that they're solid saws, if not exactly cutting-edge tech. They're probably a little less powerful, maybe the air filtration isn't quite as good, they don't have autotune, etc. Don't put too much stock in the warranty; the vast majority of mechanical failures are due to user error that would not be covered, not wear or manufacturing defects. Take a look at the Husqvarna 555 and Dolmar 6100 too.

If finances permitted, I'd prefer a 50cc / 70cc combination, with emphasis on the 50cc saw being a very nice-quality machine that I'd be happy to use all the time, and the 70cc being something secondhand / cheaper / rougher, suited for occasional use.

I would like to have more than one saw...but finances permit only one right now....ive got two smaller saws but I'm tired of fixing them...cheapy homelite 42cc and poulan 32cc?...

The first two answers were so good, I have nothing to add, but just to reinforce. Optimum bar sizes:

50cc: 16"-18"
60cc: 18"-20"
70cc: 24"
80cc: 28"

Buy your saw accordingly.

What's the crank case style on the Echo? With the Stihl 361 you're getting an easily repairable split magnesium case, which gives you the lowest weight and size per displacement, not homeowner grade clamshell junk.

The first two answers were so good, I have nothing to add, but just to reinforce. Optimum bar sizes:

50cc: 16"-18"
60cc: 18"-20"
70cc: 24"
80cc: 28"

Buy your saw accordingly.

What's the crank case style on the Echo? With the Stihl 361 you're getting an easily repairable split magnesium case, which gives you the lowest weight and size per displacement, not homeowner grade clamshell junk.
The echo are split mag cases too...im only looking at pro saws.

Reactions: Ashful
If you're comfortable assessing and working on saws then you might consider shopping for a used machine. The new smaller Echo will set you back $450. You could pick up an MS360 or an ex-rental Makita 6421 in good shape for around $300.

I'm down to buying a new saw and have narrowed my choices down to:
Echo cs501p vs stihl ms261....or
Echo cs600p vs stihl ms362.

As it happens, I own and use older versions of both Stihl saws, a nearly 20 year old MS250 with 18" bar and a MS361 with a 20" bar. Of the two, the 361 gets far more use. It is maybe two or three times as fast in cutting anything but small limbs. I thought the extra weight would be an issue, but it is actually an advantage when bucking logs. If I had only one saw it would be a 60 cc. I have never really liked the 18" bar on the MS250 and am finally going change out to a 16".

Re: Stihl vs. Echo, I suggest that the quality and availability of service would be a deciding factor.

Of greater concern is the standing dead timber - the logger's biggest danger. For that I would be more concerned about not getting hurt or killed by widow makers, ladder backs, and unpredictable dead trunks generally. I had five large dead oaks (youngest was well over 100 years) to get down recently and I gladly paid the $300 rental for a 50' lift to cut the tops out of them.

As it happens, I own and use older versions of both Stihl saws, a nearly 20 year old MS250

FWIW, the predecessor of the 261 would be the 260, not a 250.

I would go used for both. I would go 026/260 and a 044/440. Like Jon said the 036/360 would work fine but the 026/260 to 044/440 would be a big plus for the bigger stuff. I think you would save a ton of money and still be very happy with any of the above choices.

Last edited:
I would go used for both.I would go 026/260 and a 044/440. Like Jon said the 036/360 would work fine but the 026/260 to 044/440 would be a big plus for the bigger stuff. I think you would save a ton of money and still be very happy with the above choices.
Avoid the 441 as they have been pulled from production to rectify a issue they had with them. A older 044/440 would be sweet!

Reactions: Ashful
Would a Jonsered 2253 work for your specs ?

• Powerhead Weight - 11.5 lb.
  • Product Type - Gas Powered Chainsaw
  • Recommended Bar Length 20"
  • Horsepower 3.8
  • Engine - 50.1cc
  • Power Source - Gas
  • Fuel Tank Volume - 17.58 fl oz
  • Oil Tank Volume - .57 US Pint
  • Saw Pitch - 0.325"
  • Warranty 2-Year Limited
Just another option to consider.

Avoid the 441 as they have been pulled from production to rectify a issue they had with them. A older 044/440 would be sweet!

I never heard of this. Of the many Stihl dealers near me the one that's the most " pro " oriented has about 10 of them he can't sell. I was told too many units on hand so they pulled it from the Stihl website. But who knows that's just what I was told. Could be he just wants to sell them but he sells $100K John Deer tractors so not sure how much he's concerned about chainsaws.

To the OP if you have to have 1 saw then go with the 60cc. Any brand will work just fine, what's more important is dealer service if your not able to work on it yourself. Shop dealers not brands if you need good service.

I'm not sure what you look for in any tool purchase but for me it's dealer service, quality, and value. I could care less about brand loyalty.

Reactions: Jon1270
Would a Jonsered 2253 work for your specs ?

• Powerhead Weight - 11.5 lb.
  • Product Type - Gas Powered Chainsaw
  • Recommended Bar Length 20"
  • Horsepower 3.8
  • Engine - 50.1cc
  • Power Source - Gas
  • Fuel Tank Volume - 17.58 fl oz
  • Oil Tank Volume - .57 US Pint
  • Saw Pitch - 0.325"
  • Warranty 2-Year Limited
Just another option to consider.

Not going to answer for the OP but I'm very familiar with that saw. Same saw as a 550xp. I'd still suggest the bigger 60cc saw because of the 30 inch large trees he is cutting and that he is only looking for 1 saw. A 2 saw plan with that 2253 or any other 50cc saw plus a nice 70cc saw would be a great combo

I was dead set on a makita/dolmar 6100, but there isn't a dealer within 40 miles...same with jonsered (not including menards).

The stihl dealers all seem a little more knowledgable...but they still had that deer in the headlights look when I asked about pro saws.

Im a mechanic/welder by trade so I can fix most things....i just can't afford to have the down time when I need my tools.

I tend to buy better quality than I need...a rancher saw would probably do just fine but I'm getting a pro saw.
So I look for quality and value...not bargain.

So I'm set on a 60cc...now to throw a wrench in the mix...cs620p...the stihl is outside of my budget when I'm honest with myself.

Please and thank you
Appreciate the replies
God bless
Shred

Woodhog this is what my dealer told me...he didn't elaborate as to what the problem was...He hasn't had a 441 in many months and there are none to be had locally....with 2 other dealers? I will ask some pointed questions.

I would like to have more than one saw...but finances permit only one right now....ive got two smaller saws but I'm tired of fixing them...cheapy homelite 42cc and poulan 32cc?...

Keep them for limbing and small stuff, and get the biggest (decent) saw you can afford. Home Depot tool rentals sell used Makita 64ccs sometimes, and those are great saws (made by Dolmar).

Reactions: bfast250
Woodhog this is what my dealer told me...he didn't elaborate as to what the problem was...He hasn't had a 441 in many months and there are none to be had locally....with 2 other dealers? I will ask some pointed questions.

The 441 assembly facility is being upgraded/modernized/streamlined. Currently out of production for that reason. No other outstanding issues according to our local dealer? Time will tell.

Avoid the 441 as they have been pulled from production to rectify a issue they had with them... Woodhog this is what my dealer told me...he didn't elaborate as to what the problem was...He hasn't had a 441 in many months and there are none to be had locally...
This wouldn't be the first time a store owner claimed false problems to sell another product, when he can't provide the item in question.

That's good to know as I would like one myself!

Just got off the phone with Stihl USA and was told the 441 hasn't been available for 3 years! They also said there was a production line issue and would not elaborate as to what that was...hmmmmm...and went on to say they would be available again starting this July.

Pulled the trigger on an echo cs620p with a 24" bar...we shall see when it gets here....got a deal I couldn't pass up

In the meantime I got my other two saws running decent on the bench...havent put them to wood yet.

Thanks for all the advice
God bless
Shred

I think you made a wise decision for your needs. We will need a complete review!

Just got off the phone with Stihl USA and was told the 441 hasn't been available for 3 years! They also said there was a production line issue and would not elaborate as to what that was...hmmmmm...and went on to say they would be available again starting this July.

My guess is production line issue is their standard explanation. Who knows for sure. It was I think Stihls first Mtronic saw. And it came out with a price probably very similiar to the 460 that was sitting on the shelf next to it. So I'm not surprised that lots of Stihl loyalists opted for the 460 over the 441 leaving lots of unsold 441s. Especially with less than $100 price difference. Too bad because the 441 is a far superior saw in terms of design, air filtration, AV, over a 460 but it took awhile for Mtronic to catch on with Stihl loyalists. But that was back before Mtronic and Auto tune started to get traction within the market. Fast forward to today and now there's a 461 Mtronic. The 460 is gone. So it makes sense Stihl would bring back the 441 but at a bigger price difference than the 461 making it more competitive.

I've got a 661 and love it when I get wood to cut big enough to justify using it. No way would I take an older 660/066 over this saw. I've got an old 056 and it's a joke running it compared to how crisp my 661 runs ( or my auto tune Swedish saw for that matter ) Mtronic and Auto tune is here to stay. I'm still surprised Husky / Jonsered still keeps the legendary 372XP platform around. One of the best 70cc saws ever made. I'm sure to please the non auto tune non Mtronic crowd. But eventually auto tuned carbs will be our only options on new saws.

Last edited: