Need fireplace finishing advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Hello all - the fireplace company can finish the front of my fireplace with cultured stone. It will cost about $50/sq ft installed for about 16 sq ft (they don't reduce the cost for the fireplace opening). So this will run me about $900. Is this a good finish or should I go for real stone? Also since this is a corner fireplace they do not have any material to cover the sheetrock on the top. Any recommendations for the top as a DIY project or maybe even use someone? The picture should clear up what I mean by the top.

Screenshot_20210628_212409.jpg

One option is to run a sheetrock wall all the way to the ceiling.
You will eliminate the need for dusting that top shelf
& you will have a location to mount a TV.
Above your stonework, you can mount a
shelf type mantel...

We want to do a half wall fireplace because the small room will look too overimposed with a full structure. If I go with half can you recommend how to go about a shelf type mantel?

What are you going to have in that fireplace? gas or wood or something like electric for display? clancey

That's nice and going to be pretty when finished and they are so easy with their thermostats as well--you set it and leave it--so easy...my girlfriend has one and she loves it....clancey

How about a solid piece of marble that you can have cut to the shape of the top of your small gas heater..I believe stone places do this type of work...clancey

What will be the actual dimension for the top?
A nice piece of Birch Plywood will probably give
you a nice look if the dimensions work...

Sorry I was traveling and just saw this. The hypotenuse of the triangle will be about 50.25 inches. So the two equal sides will be about 36 inches each. How would I go about with the birch?

All this figuring for what--just get a piece of marble and have a stone cutter cut it to proper size and how beautiful and smooth it will be as well...clancey

It might be very pretty too and you need to get the height factor of it just right for the convenience of what you might use it for its small but I can picture things to do with the space for your room is small-seeing some of your couch in the picture...It could be a cozy little corner spot.. If you have more space in your home somewhere else you might look at that and check into maybe a wood stove or something in that order---if you could financially do any of this and it it would be possible for you...Some of those stoves are just beautiful and i like those Bari stoves for the ambiance of it all-----love them... lol..Good luck on your new shelving design...heck make it a double shelf--lol clancey