Need help deciding on a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donovansn585

Mar 4, 2011
NEK Vermont
So I am in the market for a new pellet stove, here are my two choices: harman accentra or piazetta Monia. Looking for the one that is the lowest maintenance, quietest and most reliable oh ya and will burn any pellets. I really like the size and looks of the Monia plus the price is a little better but I know the Harland reputation is awesome. Please help me decide. Thank You sincerely confused

I'm a Harman convert, so that is my suggestion :) . Not really on the quiet side, but I don't know what the Monia puts out for sound. I don know that my P61a is no more noisy than my St. Croix Hastings was. Will find out in a month or so if the noise is less with the PP38++ that I am putting in (in place of the Hastings).

Haven't found anything yet that the Harman dislikes for burning - and 99.99% of the time I burn crap pellets (except those 6 bags of Vermonts I got last year). However, I have no experience with the Accentra - I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Harman. Don't know much about the other and at this point I do not really care because I am sold on Harmans without question. What type of price savings are you speaking of? I ask this because I have a friend who thought he would save some cash. I have yet to see an unhappy Harman owner here. Can not say the same about some other brands but to each their own. There are many Accentra owners around here too.

Let me say this. I have a good friend who just bought a new $2,700 Kozi 3 years ago. I bought my stoves last fall. He told me then to get a Harman so I did going by what he said and endless amounts of research here and elsewhere. Guess what my good friend is currently doing? The Kozi has been yanked and he just re-did his hearth to prep for his new Harman.

There have been many state here that they do not like the self cleaning on some stoves because it shuts them down therefore not throwing out heat when they would rather have heat than a self clean at that given moment when the stove decides what is best for you. The Quad AE is one such example. I almost bought a used one for my second stove a glad I did not at this point. They are good stoves but not necessarily my top choice but when in the used market beggars can not be choosers, Huh...

The OP is looking at new stoves anyway and I myself prefer somewhat simple and highly dependable machines. Parts availability is another issue along with dealer support if one needs that. IMHO when you buy a pellet stove you had better be well informed and able to manage most on your own anyway. CYA!

Max heating area for Monia is 1800 max heating area for accentra is 2600sqf. $2700 for the Monia and $4000 for the accentra read the reviews on both stove may help u to make a better decision.

The Monia only has a 35lb hopper that's a deal breaker for me due to like to go away all day if I want. 67 lb hopper on the accentra.

Reactions: bogieb
I will say you will be quite happy with your decision. Congrats, Good Luck, and keep us posted. The hopper size is a bigger factor than many give the larger hopper stoves credit for. Extended burn times are very, very nice. In all reality I can get 24 hour burn times out of my P68 even during the extreme cold.

They say it has a 76 Lb. hopper if I recall correctly. However I can and do get two bags into it which is 80 Lbs. Now that is when it is basically completely empty and I work the pellets some to reduce air spaces between pellets. I just stick my hand in there and push pellets around so more will fit.

Two bags will go in and fit but it is stuffed to the gills. So finding the room for the other 4 Lb.s is possible and takes minimal effort. Doesn't really matter but it is nice to have a larger hopper. It really is. As they say around here many times, 'go big or go home.'

I will say you will be quite happy with your decision. Congrats, Good Luck, and keep us posted. The hopper size is a bigger factor than many give the larger hopper stoves credit for. Extended burn times are very, very nice. In all reality I can get 24 hour burn times out of my P68 even during the extreme cold.

Yeah, bigger hopper is one of the reasons I got the baby Harman to replace the St. Croix. The SC Hastings supposedly had a 40 lb hopper - but I could ever get a whole bag in no matter how much I scrunched the stuff around (even using FSU's which are smaller pelltes - prime stuff for scrunching). I got home several time after 12-13 hours and the stove had run out of pellets shortly before I got home. If there was an extension for it, I might still have that stove.

Always take stated hopper size with a grain of salt and subtract 5 pounds. I have an extension on the P61a and can put about 2.5 bags in there so only check the hopper every 36 hours or so. The baby Harman says it holds 55 lbs (which I assume means it really holds about 50 in real life) but I can get an extension, so that can hold 2 bags giving me plenty of burn time. Which reminds me, I have to get to a dealer to order an extension soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.