Help deciding on pellet stove for S. NH - Deerfield vs P61/Absolute 63 vs Trekker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which of these options would you select if you were me?

• Lopi Deerfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quadra-Fire Trekker

• Other: Please state in comments

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OnTheWay

Sep 24, 2023
New Hampshire
Hi all,

Normally I ask for advice on various topics on Reddit but everyone there said to come here for good advice on pellet stoves, so here I am!

Background: Live in Southern New Hampshire and am looking to replace a Woodstock Soapstone stove (Fireview model - circa 2004 - came with house) with a pellet stove for ease of fuel storage and more efficient temperature regulation, especially overnight. This would be the primary heating source (propane baseboard alternate) for our first floor (1700 sq ft), but primarily concerned about the family room, kitchen, and office, which are closest to the stove. Second story has an air heatpump as well as propane baseboard, but any heat that makes its way upstairs via the stairwell would be appreciated.

Criteria: I want something that will get the Wife Approval Factor (WAF), is reliable with good, consistent heat output, and solid warranty/customer service. I am typically long-term value focused - I don't mind paying more up front if the average cost per year will be lower. Also, I am semi-mechanically inclined and can usually fix things/replace parts based on the manual or some YouTube tutorials.

Options: We went out visiting stove shops yesterday and the first one we went to was having a tent sale for 10% off on hardware with the price effective until Tuesday. We liked the look of the Harman XXV but it isn't tax credit eligible, so that moved us to the Lopi Deerfield as an alternative. However, that is the most expensive of the bunch and for the same money I feel the higher BTU Absolute 63 would be better? We are also okay with the looks of the more industrial looking Harman P61, even the wife.

The next two local stores only carry Quad products (although one could get Harman from a sister store further up-state), and given the size we are looking to heat felt like the Trekker was the best option. I know Quad and Harman are owned by the same corporation, just different price points/styles. Both also honored the 10% sale from the first store until Tuesday. MSRPs were the same so no need to differentiate in the table.

Being a finance guy, I tried to break it down by the numbers but I know there are other qualitative factors to consider. Kept install estimates consistent at $2K as that is what most shops were quoting depending on actual materials needed to convert from wood to pellets and potential for a chimney liner based on inspection.

UnitLopi DeerfieldHarman P61Harman Absolute 63Quadra-Fire Trekker
BTU50,00061,00063,00051,000
Unit Price$ 5,852.00$ 4,809.00$ 5,539.00$ 4,789.00
Price after 10% Off$ 5,266.80$ 4,328.10$ 4,985.10$ 4,310.10
Installation Estimate$ 2,000.00$ 2,000.00$ 2,000.00$ 2,000.00
Total Price$ 7,266.80$ 6,328.10$ 6,985.10$ 6,310.10
Less Tax Credit$ 2,000.00$ 2,000.00$ 2,000.00$ 1,893.03
Effective Price$ 5,266.80$ 4,328.10$ 4,985.10$ 4,417.07
BTU per $9.4914.0912.6411.55
Other BenefitsBottom Fed, traditional stove lookBottom Fed, simpler lookBottom Fed, traditional stove lookTop Fed, ext. therm, traditional stove look

Advice: Interested to hear more from the bigger brain on what might be the best for us and if there is anything I may have missed?

Thank you for all the help and look forward to being part of the community!

Last edited:
Reactions: ABusWrench
What you are looking at are all good stoves
I like the Enviro stoves that are made in North America (Canada)
The Harman is my second choise.
The best advice I can give after 22 years of using pellets is
Buy a stove with more BTU output than you think you need.
It is much easier to turn a stove down than get more heat from a maxed-out stove
The most important thing is to buy the stove your better half likes

Reactions: Washed-Up
Harman but I'm biased.

sam

What you are looking at are all good stoves
I like the Enviro stoves that are made in North America (Canada)
The Harman is my second choise.
The best advice I can give after 22 years of using pellets is
Buy a stove with more BTU output than you think you need.
It is much easier to turn a stove down than get more heat from a maxed-out stove
The most important thing is to buy the stove your better half likes
Thanks for the response! I see a few Environ dealers in our somewhat larger area so can give them a call as well to chat about pricing. Looks like the Enviro M55 would be comparable to the ones listed above.

And yes, we we say "Happy spouse, happy house!"

Love my Harman P61a and P43. Simple to maintain, will burn any pellet (some are fussy or need fiddling when changing pellets) and very reliable.

My last house had that woodstock soapstone stove (about the same year, in southern NH - I thought you were my ex at first - LOL).

Been burning wood pellets for 30 years, most of those with Harman stoves. Only had to replace a distribution fan in my P43.

My recommendation would be to purchase the Harman P61. The P series are very easy to clean and maintain.

I'm biased as well. P61a. You won't regret it. Getting ready for our 10th heating season. Have had zero mechanical problems. Only operator errors! Makes heat with any pellet. Easy to clean and maintain. And you will have to clean and maintain what ever you buy.

When choosing a stove, pay attention to the size of the hopper and ash pan. The smaller either is, the more you have to feed/clean the stove (clean as in empty ashes).

And yeah, if you burn the super duper (also read super expensive) pellets, you'll hardly get any ash (so they say anyway), then the ash pan may not be as important. But for those of us that are budget conscience, cheaper middle of the road pellets will keep you warm with just a bit more ash and less of a hit to your pocketbook.

And looking at your chart, you get more BTUs per $$ with the P61, it has a large hopper and a large ash pan. It is reliable, easy to work on, and has a lot of people that swear by it. The wife is good with it too, so I don't even know what the debate is here. Just go buy it :)

Reactions: ABusWrench