Need help deciding on making the move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rbenson87

Oct 17, 2022
Rhode Island
Current System: Ducted Inverter Heat Pump for 1st floor and wall mount split system heat pumps in half basement.

Last year my electric bill was $450/month during the peak of winter, normal electricity is about $100/month. This brings my total heating bill to $350 @ $0.22 / kwh. Which is about 1,600 kwh of heating.

My electricity is going up to $0.33 / kwh this winter which would take that same $350 heating bill and bring that to $530

Thinking of not heating the basement (walls are R20 and new windows and everything is well sealed up) and adding a wood pellet stove in my office.

My upstairs is approximately 1100 sq. ft. and has 3 rooms. I have ductwork in the attic where my heat pump is ducted in. Is there a way to utilize this ductwork to distribute the wood pellet heated air better? Or will it distribute fairly well on its own if I leave all the doors open?

Well, that is the million $$ question. It all depends on your layout and the dynamics of your house. I have a main floor of 950 sq/ft and a basement of 600 sq/ft. The P61a should heat then entirety with ease. However, I never could get the air to circulate well even with the basement at nearly 90* (I tried every possible method and variation), so ended up putting in a smaller stove on the main floor.

But, some people get fantastic heat exchange. I'd say the more of an open layout, and if your stairway is in a central location (neither of which is true in my case), that would help tremendously.

I'm sure someone will come along and help you with the ducting part of your question.

Reactions: Washed-Up
You can buy a stove that has a duct kit name escapes me at this moment
The big thing to remember is that a pellet stove is a space heater, not a central furnace.
Some people have good results moving the heat others not so good just
depends on your home dynamics.