Need some specific “what products” to buy from Home Depot advice for a raised hearth pad I’m building. Primary concerns are buying the correct adhesives for the project. I’m building a raised corner hearth pad for my Kuma freestanding stove to sit on. Base frame is made from 2x6’s. On top of the 2x6 raised frame will be ¾” plywood and on top of the ¾” plywood will be cement board topped off with porcelain tile. With heat from the stove being a concern I want to make sure I buy the right adhesives, mortar/thinset and grout.
- What general purpose adhesive for plywood deck to 2x6 frame? I will be screwing the ¾ plywood deck to the 2x6 raised frame but also want to use a general purpose adhesive as well. Is there a recommended general purpose adhesive (i.e loctite) rated for higher temps? Looks like a lot of the general purpose construction adhesives are rated for 120 degrees
- Should I just screw the hardiboard / cement board to the plywood deck or screw and use an adhesive?
- Mortar or thinset for porcelain tiles? Any specific brand, etc?
- Run of the mill grout ok or is there a specific grout I need to use due to heat?
- When I tiled my shower walls I used ¼” tile spacers. Someone recommended using smaller ⅛” tile spacers for this type of a project? Does this matter?