Need Help Identify Earth Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sauciechick

Sep 15, 2021
Can anyone tell me what model of Earth Stove this fireplace is and estimated value? Looks to be in good shape; all fire brick still there, no warping. It has outside air intakes on both sides and a relatively small fire box (its zero clearance) for such a hunk of metal. I'm trying to determine if its worth picking up for and installing. Thanks!

189146674_10226919814126700_6332013251516107061_n.jpg 190892135_10226919814566711_3791120117658914215_n.jpg IMG_1485.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not much more than scrap value, but you never know. Try asking $200, OBO.

No, this is the first time I have seen one in ZC fireplace form.

Looks like an Earth stove insert stuffed into a zero clearance fire place . I personally would not want it, I would look for a Buck 51 or 74 with a zero clearance cabinet if you are looking for used. Here is an earth stove insert that has been for sale for months for $450 if that helps .

It looks like a 2800 ht stuffed into a builders box prefab fireplace

Looks like an Earth stove insert stuffed into a zero clearance fire place . I personally would not want it, I would look for a Buck 51 or 74 with a zero clearance cabinet if you are looking for used. Here is an earth stove insert that has been for sale for months for $450 if that helps .
Thanks - I can pick this one up for probably $200, and that includes 11 ft of triple walled pipe. Its in good shape. I don't really need the ZC as its a "new" install. Just trying to decide between installing the Hurricane wood stove I have or doing an insert, which will allow me to put the TV above it (room limitations) as well as probably look a bit nicer. Do you think its a 4000 or a 2800 - or how would I tell (measurements). This is for secondary heat.

Do you have an existing masonry fireplace? I would recommend something more modern especially if you plan on heating with it around the clock.

It looks like a 2800 ht stuffed into a builders box prefab fireplace
Could it be a 4000? Its about 42" wide in front and 36" deep - that would include the ZC box. I couldn't find any kind o manufacturers plate on it, which makes sense now if it was put in a ZC box.

Thanks - I can pick this one up for probably $200, and that includes 11 ft of triple walled pipe. Its in good shape. I don't really need the ZC as its a "new" install. Just trying to decide between installing the Hurricane wood stove I have or doing an insert, which will allow me to put the TV above it (room limitations) as well as probably look a bit nicer. Do you think its a 4000 or a 2800 - or how would I tell (measurements). This is for secondary heat.
Where will you be installing this? And that triple wall pipe probably isn't suitable for venting a stove through. It is probably low temp pipe for the fireplace

Where will you be installing this? And that triple wall pipe probably isn't suitable for venting a stove through. It is probably low temp pipe for the fireplace
My plan is a corner of my LR - Essentially building a surround using wood, covering it with and running all triple insulated pipe through the attic and out. I will plaster & rock over the Durarock. Already on a concrete floor and actually my whole house is build from ICF.

The insert has been installed for a number of years and used with that pipe. How would I tell if its low temp pipe - its galvanized. I've installed about 3 wood stoves in houses, and all my insulated pipe was shiny - Duravent I think

My plan is a corner of my LR - Essentially building a surround using wood, covering it with and running all triple insulated pipe through the attic and out. I will plaster & rock over the Durarock. Already on a concrete floor and actually my whole house is build from ICF.
You cannot do that. An insert needs to be placed in a code compliant fireplace.

What you would need for that is a zero clearance fireplace.

The insert has been installed for a number of years and used with that pipe. How would I tell if its low temp pipe - its galvanized. I've installed about 3 wood stoves in houses, and all my insulated pipe was shiny - Duravent I think
You would have to look at the label. It would say it is listed to ul 103 ht if it is high temp pipe.

It is possible that earthstove made a zero clearance cabinet for the insert. But I couldn't find anything referencing it. You would really have to inspect the unit. Find any and all ul labels see how the inserts exhaust is hooked into the fireplace etc to find out if this is safe to use. But I am very doubtful

It is possible that earthstove made a zero clearance cabinet for the insert. But I couldn't find anything referencing it. You would really have to inspect the unit. Find any and all ul labels see how the inserts exhaust is hooked into the fireplace etc to find out if this is safe to use. But I am very doubtful
Interesting. I gather that the previous install was what I was thinking of doing - they just built a surround out of non combustibles with adequate clearance - not saying it was to current code. Seems it just a case of clearances and materials. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but I grew up with wood stoves and that's how we dealt with installs.

Interesting. I gather that the previous install was what I was thinking of doing - they just built a surround out of non combustibles with adequate clearance - not saying it was to current code. Seems it just a case of clearances and materials. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but I grew up with wood stoves and that's how we dealt with installs.
But clearances to combustibles for an insert that is not in a proper fireplace is 36" all around. You said you didn't need the zc because it was a new install implying you intended to simply gram around the insert itself. Is that the case?

But clearances to combustibles for an insert that is not in a proper fireplace is 36" all around. You said you didn't need the zc because it was a new install implying you intended to simply gram around the insert itself. Is that the case?
I would frame, and then cover that frame with 5/8 inch cement board .

I would frame, and then cover that frame with 5/8 inch cement board .
That is absolutely not safe at all. Simply putting a layer of cement board in between a stove and framing will do nothing. You would need a layer of firebrick and then a layer of standard brick.

That is absolutely not safe at all. Simply putting a layer of cement board in between a stove and framing will do nothing. You would need a layer of firebrick and then a layer of standard brick.
I am assuming it is the heat that is of concern. i think I'll just go with my Hurricane wood stove - seems much easier. I don't see much for used ZC inserts around here for sale. Thanks for all your help.

Its interesting; I currently have a Napoleon wood stove in the cabin. It just has a metal jacket around it - just a couple inches of space - and of course we set it away from the wall. I don't remember the recommended clearances for it when we installed it, but certainly not 36 inches . I guess just the air flow saves it

Its interesting; I currently have a Napoleon wood stove in the cabin. It just has a metal jacket around it - just a couple inches of space - and of course we set it away from the wall. I don't remember the recommended clearances for it when we installed it, but certainly not 36 inches . I guess just the air flow saves it
The Napoleon probably had much lower clearance requirements. An insert is meant to be installed inside a fireplace without doing that it is an unlisted appliance and therefore needs 36".

I am assuming it is the heat that is of concern. i think I'll just go with my Hurricane wood stove - seems much easier. I don't see much for used ZC inserts around here for sale. Thanks for all your help.
You can't build in a hurricane stove either. I believe they are unlisted. Which means 36" unless you do proper ventilated heat Shields.

i think I'll just go with my Hurricane wood stove - seems much easier. I don't see much for used ZC inserts around here for sale. Thanks for all your help.
I look everyday at used stoves, inserts and fireplaces I have seen very few ZC's for sale. Not sure what area you are in here is one in Missouri.