Need help identifying this vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suz

Oct 29, 2013
Pennsylvania
We inherited a pellet stove with the house we purchased. We are putting in a new pad and moving the stove back a bit. I need to buy 6 or 8 inches of pellet stove pipe but can't find the manufacturer on the existing pipe listed! How can I find out who made this pipe?

take a pic and post maybe someone can id it

The contractor who came out thought it was not Dura-vent but had no real idea who the manufacturer could be. Moving the stove back eight inches has become a bigger project than anticipated!

Any help is so appreciated!!

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 112
Wow, really tough to ID that. I have seen a lot of DIY guys get B-Vent gas pipe to replace smaller parts when their systems go bad. It would be a good idea to replace it all.... The way that straight section fits on that elbow doesn't jive with me and looks like a hack job. Is the contractor a fireplace repair tech of some sort? HVAC guys and handymen usually aren't up to snuff on this stuff.

Also judging by the soot in the joints of that elbow, even if it's true pellet vent, it's close to done or just really old.

It's old! The contractor is from the local gas/wood/pellet stove store. He thought that the installation was "done right" noting that homeowners usually don't use pellet pipe. He said it was pellet pipe. He just wasn't sure who made it. He said they deal with DuraVent and this had a different locking system.

I would guess that this system is at least 15 years old. There is a lot of pipe that travels up through the second floor and out through a chimney in the roof. It travels behind walls, makes a few turns and will not be easy or cheap to replace requiring the opening if walls and such. Ugh.

That's why I'm trying to id this pipe. What started as a simple project and turned into a complicated and potentially expensive one.

Try and take off the tape from the joint? on the right side of picture. Here's a pic of simpson duravent pipe elbow.

Attachments

• DSCN0291.JPG
    DSCN0291.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0292.JPG
    DSCN0292.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 137
If you have pipe going up through the second floor....your run is probably too long to be using 3". Id consider moving the stove to an outside wall and going straight out with new pipe.

If you have pipe going up through the second floor....your run is probably too long to be using 3". Id consider moving the stove to an outside wall and going straight out with new pipe.

Hmmmm... it is an outside wall but it leads to a patio with an overhang (Second floor porch) and I don't think that would work.

You could take the piece to Home depot and see if it fits in their pipe.

I have Selkirk VP 3" pellet pipe on my install from just over a year ago. That looks a lot like Selkirk VP.

I bought mine from Menards in SE WI

here are some photos

190247239_o.jpg

190247270_o.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't look anything at all like my DuraVent. I does look a bit like the Selkirk. I'm sure they have changed the design in 15 years!

If there is a lowes near by they carry the simpson duravent in the homeowner grade which looks like yours. The pro grade duravent is different. try lowes tsc ect for the duravent to try.

That short piece is-was a stove adapter that was modified a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.