Need help. New house new system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumscustoms

Jan 29, 2009
se iowa
I am in the process of moving into a new home.
Not new, but new to me.

The home is two story with 850sq ft per floor.
Newer windows

At my last house I had a central boiler 6048. it did the job, but it also liked wood, alot of wood.

I originally was gonna buy a portage and main boiler for the new place and heat the house and the new 48x64 shop (which is spray foam insulated) and will only be kept at 50ish degrees.

Now I am wondering if it is cost effective to go with a boiler like a p&m
OR just get a high efficiency furnace and heat pump for the house and a high efficiency furnace for the garage since it is so tight.

I would like to install a add on furnace or such to the house to add onto the high efficiency furnace.

Question is.
What would you guys recomend.

I enjoy cutting wood.
But enjoy hunting and fishing more,
So if I am going to save 250 bucks year with a out door furnace plus have bar lube, gas, and travel.expense. it doesn't seem worth it

The house is natural gas,

I'd live there a year and see how it goes. Moving projects will keep you busy for a while. You'll see what a winter of nat gas costs. You can gauge your interest in firewood compared to venison. If you decide on wood heat, you can take your time for a wise choice instead of a rush decision.

Just my opinion...

Enjoy your new place, sounds pretty nice!

My suggestion would be a high efficiency modulating/condensing gas boiler tied to an outdoor reset. Try to run the flow temp as low as possible and you will be amazed at the efficiency. I have a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo that is a great piece of machinery! If I knew how to use it before I installed my wood furnace I may never have gone that route. I do love me indoor gasificaion boiler tied to storage but it is a hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.