Need help - Newbie - wood stove clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboy

Oct 19, 2014
Michigan
Hi all,

Newbie to wood stoves and to the forums.
Please forgive any ignorance.

I'm helping my son install a wood burning stove in his house.
It's an Englander 30-NCP.

Question regarding wall clearance. Corner install.
We removed all of the drywall a little over 6' from the corner on two walls.We built a hearth out 2" x 6" standard wood. We put down a 1/2" fire board (some kind of fire retardant particle board), 1/2" micore 300 and then 1/2" duroc "next generation" cement board topped by 1/4" ceramic tile. I'm pretty comfortable with this set up.

On the walls, same set up without the 1/2" fire board, with 1/4" ceramic tile. I did read before hand that it's recommended to have a 1" air gap for maximum protection. If you don't do this, the protection distance reduction isn't as much. We didn't. I found a few "r" value tables on the net and I calculate the value to be at 1.94 with sheeting, thinset and tile. The stove calls for 1.5. My question is, what is a safe distance for the stove pipe? The manual contradicts itself (at least from my standpoint) in terms of wall clearance for corner installation vs straight against the wall installation. 20.5" vs 16" respectively.

Welcome, ponyboy. Someone more expert will chime in. You first must determine where "combustible" starts. Just below 1/4" tile? Is 1/2" fireboard non-combustible? I dunno. Looking at pgs 5-6 of manual - I'd say corner install of 20.5" (E) to single wall pipe is b/c the corner points directly at the wall - brings stove side into play. Parallel to wall install exposes only back side and = 16".

With out the air gap you need 18" from combustibles to the pipe unless the manual says otherwise. Your manual will spell everything out just follow the directions but you get no reduction from your setup.

With out the air gap you need 18" from combustibles to the pipe unless the manual says otherwise. Your manual will spell everything out just follow the directions but you get no reduction from your setup.

Thanks for the quick reply. We set it up based on the 20.5, and went conservative at 22". I was hoping to moving it back a few inches to get the pipe straight through the ceiling joists.

Sounds like you will still be ok. A picture would help us verify. If concerned you could switch to double-wall connector that has a 6" clearance requirement.

Sounds like you will still be ok. A picture would help us verify. If concerned you could switch to double-wall connector that has a 6" clearance requirement.

Here she sits with a 22" clearance to the wall. IMG_0479.JPG

Good looking hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.