Need help - old house, huge fireplace.... frees. vs. insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonialStove

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
My husband and I have spent weeks on this, researching online, visiting a local stove shop. We are having some serious problems figuring out what to do in our fireplace.

Our current fireplace is very large/wide. The height of the firebox is normal - about 29" - but it is 5.5' wide. We were looking at the Jotul F3 or Jotul Castine (with short leg option) but then we were thinking maybe of going with the Jotul Kennebec or Wintersport wood inserts. The problems are as follows:

1.) Our brick hearth is 24" (from front of firebox) so we can't come out too far on the hearth. Putting in some sort of fireproof base for the stove is out of the question from an aesthetic/design perspective. So, we're talking about sinking a wood stove back fully (or nearly so) in the firebox or getting a flush insert.

2.) We have a somewhat unusual mantel in that there is a large wood surround above the brick facing and the mantel itself is about 5.5' high. Using a freestanding stove is likely to necessitate using a mantel protector, and we are VERY worried about a.) installing it on our 100 year old mantel and b.) how it will look to have a giant piece of sheet metal 5.5' wide sticking out 4" or whatever from the bricks.

3.) The fireplace is abnormally wide but standard(ish) height. So when looking at freestanding stoves, we're worried how it will look to have a large black box sunk into the firebox and then all this empty space on either side of it. But at the same time, we're worried about getting an insert and having a large amount of unattractive/plain black metal all around it and at least 1' but for some of them more like 15" of black metal on either side of the existing frame for the insert.

4.) Our fireplace is arts & crafts or very simple/straight lines. A lot of the inserts we've seen have very ornate frames that we fear will "clash" with the existing mantel. From what we've seen, the inserts almost look best in very basic brick hearths.

At this point, we've zeroed in on Jotul and Morso and I think there was one other (Lopi?) as brands we're looking at, just from a brand reputation as well as aesthetic perspective, but we're not set in stone on these. What we are lacking are pictures of freestanding stoves and inserts in old houses, in existing hearths (but "formal" hearths, as in a formal living room, which is where ours is going).

Any advice? Does anyone have any link to pictures of it. Again, our house is older (100 years), and it is a pretty typical PA center-hall colonial, though it has arts & crafts design elements. The stove is going in the living room (25'x15').

Do an advanced search in the pictures section for Kennebec. There should be some nice Jotul 450 pic there. You might also want to look at the Hampton 300i.

Here's a link to a Jotul Tamarack installed with a heatshield.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/362/

My understanding is that the Winterwarm line is being revamped, you might want to hold off on that one

If you can post a shot of your current installation I can install the stove in your shot in a few minutes.

be Green, great thread link! Colonial Stove, I'd be honored to have that Jotul in my house!

I have a Kennebec, photo link is below. I love it. Best addition I have ever made to my living room.
24 inches is plenty of hearth, it lays 2.5 inches from the face, and you need an additional 18 for code, so you are fine. Whatever you do, make sure you install a liner in your chimney.

-- Mike

I noticed that you were worried about the appearance of a fire protector for the living room in the case of you getting a free standing stove that might stick out from your fireplace.

hearth protectors are not all made of black metal or shiny sheet metal. You can have inlaid marble or fancy ceramic tiles instead and the only limit on how bueatiful they are would be the
number of zeros in your bank account.

Just a thought for you to ruminate upon.

I, for myself, put plain old white cement blocks that I had outside in the back yard for a # of years, right down on top of the hardwood floor of my living room and stuck a flat black 50,000 btu pellet stove up on top of them. And it looks good to me and feels even better, when the heat is pouring out of it. My house is 97 years old. My other house is 87 years old and I'm going to stick the same thing in its "formal living room" too, which is 25x30.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.