Need help on choosing a woodstock wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FishOff

May 21, 2022
New Hampshire
Looking to purchase a woodstock stove to heat my 1700 sf two story house. Pretty much its an open concept 850 sf downstairs & 850 sf up. Very well insulated. The stove will go in the finished basement with a large open staircase. 8 inch flue. Woodstock leaned towards the Progress Hybrid which I think is a beautiful stove but I'm worried it'll be overkill. It's a big investment so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Just to clarify, is the basement the 850 sq ft first floor, or is that an additional 850 sq ft for a total of 2550 sq ft heated?

Is the basement fully insulated? How will the heat get up from the basement to the above floor(s)?

Sounds like a daylight basement. The question becomes, how will the heat get upstairs and cold air return from there? Often basement heating means it is very hot there in order to make the upstairs floor comfortable. Where is most time spent?

The basement is half way below grade. There’s a wide open staircase that with a ceiling fan above . This will allow heat to flow nicely. I’m not looking to get the upstairs bedrooms 75+ a nice 64 degrees will keep my wife happy. I love the progress and it’s ash pan but is it too much . I remeasured and it’s closer to 1950 sf if that makes a difference. I also could care less weather it’s soapstone or steel. The basement consists is primarily office and storage space but fully insulated and sheet rocked. lThanks for the help

The basement is half way below grade. There’s a wide open staircase that with a ceiling fan above . This will allow heat to flow nicely. I’m not looking to get the upstairs bedrooms 75+ a nice 64 degrees will keep my wife happy. I love the progress and it’s ash pan but is it too much . I remeasured and it’s closer to 1950 sf if that makes a difference. I also could care less weather it’s soapstone or steel. The basement consists is primarily office and storage space but fully insulated and sheet rocked. lThanks for the help
Most of the time is spent upstairs

It sounds like the Progress would work or the Ideal Steel. The Fireview might work if it is more important to keep the basement comfortable.

What's the current heating system? Do you know its BTU output rating?

Others can chime in and I am a Woodstock fan, but in your situation would a BK with convective heat and long burn times be better?

Yes, great choice. Since you indicated that you have never owned a new stove, please reach out to this forum on how to operate a CAT stove. There is a learning curve and it's easy to mess up if you ain't done the lernin. But a breeze with the know how.

Thanks for all the help . I think I’ve decided on the ideal steel by Woodstock
Good choice. With the oversized 8” flue you might have draft issues. I would have certainly preferred the 8” king but the IS is preferable to the PH in my opinion.