Need help on explaining "Turn down to"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lucky Strike

Oct 13, 2021
NW
Looking at inserts and just a little lost on terminology. Looking over the Regency catalog and they have the following specs listed for the Horizon hri6e

Input BTU: 38,000
Turn down to BTU: 25,000
Efficiency: 73%

So does this mean it uses 38k BTU and outputs 38k*.73=27.7 BTU on high? That part makes sense but I'm just not sure if the 25k "turndown to" number is the lowest input amount, which would give a low setting output of 25*.73=18.3 BTU on lowest setting

OR does turndown mean that 25k is the range of adjustment so it can go down to 13kBTU input and 13k*.73= 9.1k BTU output on its lowest setting.

Last edited:
Looking at inserts and just a little lost on terminology. Looking over the Regency catalog and they have the following specs listed for the Horizon hri6e

Input BTU: 38,000
Turn down to BTU: 25,000
Efficiency: 73%

So does this mean it uses 38k BTU and outputs 38k*.73=27.7 BTU on high? That part makes sense but I'm just not sure if the 25k "turndown to" number is the lowest input amount, which would give a low setting output of 25*.73=18.3 BTU on lowest setting

OR does turndown mean that 25k is the range of adjustment so it can go down to 13kBTU input and 13k*.73= 9.1k BTU output on its lowest setting.

High is 38,000BTU input, low is 25,000BTU input. Heat output would be those numbers times the efficiency. Gas appliances are almost always rated at the gas input rating.

Also curious about your user name, I used to work with a guy that had that as his company name.

Also seen this on page 9 of the manual, it appears that the lowest setting increases to 30k BTU if using propane.

Screenshot (177).png