Need help on my Mount Vernon AE 1st Generation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jethrose

Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, Wa
I have a 1st generation Mt Vernon AE, symptom is as follows: Initial ignition is good, pellets drop, igniter ignites, fire starts, thermocouple senses heat and than instructs feed motor to drop pellets, at this point the feed motor reverses direction and goes in to a feed "Auger Jammed" fault, fire dies down stove self cleans, end of cycle. I Have changed the following parts, 3 auger motors, 2 thermocouples, 1 motor feed sensor, I have talked to all the local guys within 50 miles and seems i know more about this stove then they do, so any help from you guys would be very much appreciated. thanks for your time.

I have a 1st generation Mt Vernon AE, symptom is as follows: Initial ignition is good, pellets drop, igniter ignites, fire starts, thermocouple senses heat and than instructs feed motor to drop pellets, at this point the feed motor reverses direction and goes in to a feed "Auger Jammed" fault, fire dies down stove self cleans, end of cycle. I Have changed the following parts, 3 auger motors, 2 thermocouples, 1 motor feed sensor, I have talked to all the local guys within 50 miles and seems i know more about this stove then they do, so any help from you guys would be very much appreciated. thanks for your time.
I am attaching a Quad Mt. Vernon AE troubleshooting guide. Look at page 12 for auger jam fixes. I know this is for the AE, but I am sure it is the same for the original Mt. Vernon. Good luck.

Attachments

• Quad MtVernon -AE Trouble Shooting MANUAL.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 223
A while back another user was having this issue and I believe cleaning the auger optical sensor did it.

A while back another user was having this issue and I believe cleaning the auger optical sensor did it.
thanks for the information, i took the sensor and motor off today cleaned and verified that the disc was in good condition, reinstalled and started stove, high hopes that were dashed very quickly when the stove went to "auger jam", check and the auger is not jammed, never has. same symptom as before, ----reset stove,
1. start up is good pellets drop = motor works,
2. ignition is good and when there is enough heat the T/C sends signal to feed more pellets = good T/C,
3. motor than reverses direction and sets a "auger jam" = motor works in reverse also.
for some reason when the stove should be feeding more pellets after ignition, the motor automatically goes into reverse. this is my 3rd auger motor, and 2nd optical sensor, does anybody have any other ideas, ie: could it be the motherboard? this is the original 1st generation AE Mount Vernon Quad

thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.