Need help, stove heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
Hello all...
Long time lurker...new to wood stoves. I just recently installed a Comforter wood stove, it's a good size wood stove.

I have a 1100sf single level ranch and the stove is in the dinning room....center of the house. I cannot seem to get the stove to heat up at all.

The damper is wide open and I mess with the vent at the bottom of the stove to try and adjust. I keep the door open for a bit to get the wood going but once I close the door all I get is embers....no flames at all and the temp on the stove drops...even with the vent at the bottom of the stove wide open.

Trying to learn how to use my stove....but everything I do fails...house is cold and I'm not getting any better at this.

Thanks for any help you can offer a newbie.

Wood seasoned or Green, Bad draft, partially plugged flue or chimney. Could be alot of things does it ever smoke when the doors open?

Wood is seasoned...and yes I do get a little smoke. Think the wood might be a little wet? I've had a tarp over it since I got it but a few pieces I've had to set aside cuz they felt a little wet.

Is this one of the old free standing Comforter cast iron box beasts? If so how are you venting it? Those pups had a big ole eight inch flue collar on them. If you give it any kind of draft, something is going to get hot around there.

Maybe too hot.

To me, it sounds like green wood. I'm no expert, but I wonder if you couldn't try a couple of pieces of scrap lumber that you know for sure is dry. If they burn really well, then it'd likely be the wood, I imagine.

Yup....free standing comforter stove with a bird on the front door. In my other post (from awhile ago) someone posted a picture of it.

It's vented straight up thru the roof....

Figures that since I posted this, the stove is actually kickin' right now and it's pretty toasty in here. But I've been fighting it for about a week now....barely heating the room it's in.

Might run by my fathers house and pick up some wood from him....he keeps his in a shed, might be dryer.

pt0872 said:
Yup....free standing comforter stove with a bird on the front door. In my other post (from awhile ago) someone posted a picture of it.

It's vented straight up thru the roof....

Figures that since I posted this, the stove is actually kickin' right now and it's pretty toasty in here. But I've been fighting it for about a week now....barely heating the room it's in.

Might run by my fathers house and pick up some wood from him....he keeps his in a shed, might be dryer.

Yep. That's the one. That sucker will burn hot with anything approaching dry wood. Just be sure that you keep control of the burn. IE: Don't load it up to fast with too dry wood.

Thanks for your help....I'm new to wood stoves so I really baby it. I put 3 or so logs in and really keep my eye on it.

See how it does tonight...getting cold outside and need the stove to at least warm the house a bit..

Status
Not open for further replies.