Need help with disassembly of Resolute III!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinderella

Oct 4, 2008
Southern, ME
Hi - I am new to this website. I have an older Vermont Castings Resolute III. It does not have the fire bricks inside it. The 'liner' on the right side has started crumbling away at the slotted section. I have purchased a replacement part, but cannot get the old one out. We had to drill the screw head off, but still won't come out. Do I need to take other parts out first? Looks like I might need to take the left side and back out first?? Anyone know the answer?? Thanks!

Before ever taking any stove apart, get the parts diagram. They typically show what's holding what together.
see diagram at http://www.discountstove.com/0043.html
I'm not familar with your stove. I'm sure someone else will be able to steer you right.

does your resolute have a cast iron back, or a refractory cement back? The easiest way to tell is to see haw many vertical factory seams in the fireback there are. if there are 2, then its refractory, if it is multiple then it is an older vc resolute. either way, you will have to purchase a tap and die set, drill out the frozen bolts, and re tap the hole to accept new bolts. then you will have to purchase a new fireback. Also check the combustion package in the rear. it is a styrofoam llike material that is probably shot. there is a retrofit kit to make any resolute (except for the original ones with a 1 piece fireback) accept a refractory back.
the rear pieces should come out 1st with any resolute, and then the sides to properly replace them. the combustion package should be replaced, and the firback. if you have a cast fireback, itis no longer avail, and you will have to buy the retrofit. then, get a new combustion package, and that is expensive, too. then get ready to do it again in 3-4 years. your best scenario is to buy a jotul f400 castine,( which has no stupid parts like the vc and is comparible in size) and get out of it all for @ $1900. the parts for the resolute will cost you approx 600 - 700 bucks, and you will have to spend it againin a few heating seasons due to the poor quality of the parts. new stove = @1900 not screwing w/it = priceless

Hello my name is rich and i allso have a resolute lll wood the porcelin is so bad on it will sand blasting get it off and the glass clips and screws are not coming out there breaking off the good thing about the stove is that there are no cracks at all and all fire backs and sides are in good shap should I restore it or buy a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.