need help with reinstalling baffle on Morso 5660 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
So, the chimney sweeps were here today, and I wanted to learn about how to access the flue to clean it from the bottom. I am having trouble figuring out the Morso manual, with its blurry pictures. Got the baffle out, and it is now sitting in the bottom of the stove- there was a pile of soot from the cleaning on top of the fire blanket (which I didn't know was there). This makes cleaning from the top down suboptimal, in that you cannot get the soot out, unless you detach the baffle. But to clean from the bottom up, to gain access to the flue, you still have to remove the baffle. It's quite a production. I took out all the bricks because I didn't want to drop the 30# baffle on them, but I'm not sure that that's necessary.

Anyway, the 4 bolts holding the baffle to the rear of the stove are out, and the baffle is sitting on the floor of the box, but there don't seem to be any guide bolts, like the manual says should be there. I'm hoping people can help me by looking at this picture:
morsobaffle.png

The red arrows are where the baffle screws in. I'm wondering if the blue arrows are where the guide bolts are- there are holes with threads, and a headless bolt screwed in deeply. The picture in the manual (page 7, second photo, here: http://www.morsona.com/Files//Files/PDF/Manuals USA/72560400-5660_NA.pdf) is very unclear. If the blue arrow holes are where the guide bolts are supposed to be, I guess that means I have to pull the insert out to get to the back of the firebox and screw the bolts in toward the inside so that the guide bolts can be used. Is that true? This manual is LAME. And pulling that whole thing out to screw the guide bolts out is going to be a huge production.

Finally, I noticed a light coating of rust on the inside of the box. I'm no longer going to put wood in when the box is cold, to be ready for the next fire, but is this the cause, or does interior rusting happen anyway?

I see you answered your guide bolts question in another thread.

Rust: About 3 or 4 times a year I build a fire several hours before I light it. It never occurred to me that might be the cause of the rust in my box. I'm hoping someone else can answer that. I'd just assumed I'd botched the summer protocol. This summer, I kept the bricks out, and put some kitty litter in, which is probably better than the first couple years, when I simply vacuumed out the ashes and left the bricks in.

Normally our summers are very dry. There's no need to pull the bricks. In 40 yrs of living out here I have never done more than clean out the ash out of the stove. Sometimes even that waits until September. A fine rust can happen inside of a stove to steel components. Heat accelerates oxidation. If you want to slow it down for over the summer, spray it lightly with some cooking oil (interior of the firebox only) or oil a rag with mineral oil and wipe these areas.

That was referring to Gazing's comment in WA state. Do you normally have AC running in the summer? If so the stove should be in a lower relative humidity environment as compared to outdoors, but the DampRid won't hurt.

Hi everyone,

Anyone here ever have problems getting the Morso 5660 side heat shields back in correctly after removing the baffle? I just installed a demo model that I bought; chimney sweep and I took off the baffle as the manual directed in order to access the flue collar and hook the unit up to the chimney liner. That part went OK, but I figured I'd put the heat shields in later since it was so simple getting them out. Later when I tried to actually put the shields back in, the side ones would not fit, so I loosened up the baffle bolts and pushed the baffle up higher towards the roof of the stove and then tightened the M8 bolts back down. I actually had to do this process of pushing the baffle up and snugging down the 4 M8's three times before I got the side shields to fit ... even as such the side shields still don't sit all the way back against the rear heat shield at the back of the stove, and frankly I cannot remember whether that gap was there when I bought it or not (said gap is a little over a half inch between the back of the side heat shield and the rear heat shield that covers the back of the stove). Likewise the two bottom heat shield pieces don't seem to cover the entire floor with there being about an inch exposed either at the front near the door or the back, depending on which way you shove the floor shields.

I've checked the manual and searched everywhere, without success, for a photo of the internals to get a better idea if the heat shields are placed correctly ...ditto for how the baffle is supposed to hang (it seems to want to droop down a bit and block the side shields as the 4 M8 Allen head bolts just hold the baffle flush to the back rather than at the proper angle ...though holding the baffle at the right angle and then tightening the M8's gets you most of the way there).

Any information or suggestions would be most welcome - thanks very much.

Hi everyone,

Anyone here ever have problems getting the Morso 5660 side heat shields back in correctly after removing the baffle? I just installed a demo model that I bought; chimney sweep and I took off the baffle as the manual directed in order to access the flue collar and hook the unit up to the chimney liner. That part went OK, but I figured I'd put the heat shields in later since it was so simple getting them out. Later when I tried to actually put the shields back in, the side ones would not fit, so I loosened up the baffle bolts and pushed the baffle up higher towards the roof of the stove and then tightened the M8 bolts back down. I actually had to do this process of pushing the baffle up and snugging down the 4 M8's three times before I got the side shields to fit ... even as such the side shields still don't sit all the way back against the rear heat shield at the back of the stove, and frankly I cannot remember whether that gap was there when I bought it or not (said gap is a little over a half inch between the back of the side heat shield and the rear heat shield that covers the back of the stove). Likewise the two bottom heat shield pieces don't seem to cover the entire floor with there being about an inch exposed either at the front near the door or the back, depending on which way you shove the floor shields.

I've checked the manual and searched everywhere, without success, for a photo of the internals to get a better idea if the heat shields are placed correctly ...ditto for how the baffle is supposed to hang (it seems to want to droop down a bit and block the side shields as the 4 M8 Allen head bolts just hold the baffle flush to the back rather than at the proper angle ...though holding the baffle at the right angle and then tightening the M8's gets you most of the way there).

Any information or suggestions would be most welcome - thanks very much.
Have same issue with floor shields, any help as to how to install would be appreciated. Back and sides are in but bottom pieces too big.

Can the bottom pieces be put in first?