Need help with removing huge fireplace insert (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandtd

Feb 4, 2014
Bath, PA
My wife and I bought a really neat contemporary-style home this summer that came with a standard fireplace in our bedroom and a fireplace insert in the great room. I'm still young enough to manage wood duties, but I'm getting too busy with work and found a great deal on a pellet stove insert on Craiglist. Pellet stove works great, all ready to go, but I can't get the fireplace insert out of the wall.

Unlike some of the smaller inserts, this insert looks to be taller than just the firebox. I cut away some small pieces of drywall behind the molding around the insert, and a small soon-to-be outlet box on the side and I can see that the box goes up about 5' or 6' up the wall. Luckily the chimney is just a sheetrock chimney with an insulated stainless insert that goes all the way up, so I can easily get to the insert if I cut away at the wall, right?

I can't tell what make or model it is, but the house was built in 1987/1988. There are two blowers underneath that push the air behind the stove and out the two vents that you see at the top.

So, is it possible that I can cut away at the drywall, remove any 2x4 braces, and pull this insert out? Or were these inserts designed to be taken apart in two pieces? As of right now, it doesn't budge at all when I pull on it and I can't see any fasteners inside.

I have included a pic (I'm messy, I know!) that might help. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20140210_103705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what you have is a zero-clearance fireplace, not an insert. It is built in and does not pull out. To remove it will require either opening up the front or back side to the surrounding studs. The chimney may be supported by the stove in which case it will have to be lifted off the stove enough to clear before it can come out. It looks like it also is ducted with low returns and high supplies. These will also need to be disconnected.

Before proceeding you might want to consider just removing the doors and running the pellet vent piping up the chimney of the fireplace. You could make a blank plate to close off the doorway with a hole in it to accommodate the exhaust pipe.

I think what you have is a zero-clearance fireplace, not an insert. It is built in and does not pull out. To remove it will require either opening up the front or back side to the surrounding studs. The chimney may be supported by the stove in which case it will have to be lifted off the stove enough to clear before it can come out. It looks like it also is ducted with low returns and high supplies. These will also need to be disconnected.

Before proceeding you might want to consider just removing the doors and running the pellet vent piping up the chimney of the fireplace. You could make a blank plate to close off the doorway with a hole in it to accommodate the exhaust pipe.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I have some welder and torch-happy friends who have access to cut metal. Is it possible to cut the bottom part of the firebox out and leave the rest of the larger surround box and vents in for now? I can remove those two little vent covers later when we put brick on the fireplace.

Possible, maybe? Legal and code approved, I don't think so. Ask your insurance company and local inspecting authority about it.

Are you sure you want to remove/replace this unit? Pellet stoves are nice but if you lose power= no heat.

Are you sure you want to remove/replace this unit? Pellet stoves are nice but if you lose power= no heat.

We rarely lose power around here in my part of PA. Plus, a small generator will easily power the unit to keep the house warm if we did lose power in the winter. I did think about that though!

You need to open up that wall to see how that stove is actually installed. If you and your buddies are not afraid to tackle the job, then go for it! Otherwise I would call in a professional fireplace installation crew to not only remove the old one, but to install the new pellet stove to code. You mentioned you were going to brick up the fireplace anyway, so start removing drywall until you can see what's really there. That will really help you make the decision on if you want to do it yourself or call in the pros.

BTW, that looks like a really nice stove. You can make back a bit of money selling it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.