Need help with vertical vent install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickster

Jul 19, 2008
CT

Hi pelletheads,

Mt. Vernon is still not in yet, but I would like to get as ready as possible. I plan to do the install myself. I plan to install the stove in the entryway of my home, very open and already tiled. This location would also allow me to install the stove with a straight up and through the ceiling vent configuration. It is a cathedral style ceiling, so there is only roof on the other side. I have not seen too much info. (or pictures) of anyone doing this install. Anyone done this? I would like to know before I go cutting a big hole in my ceiling!

I have a vert. install but 8 ft ceilings. Will try and get pictures posted for ya when I get home.

here ya go

Attachments

• 2008_1011Image0003.JPG
    2008_1011Image0003.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 2008_1011Image0005.JPG
    2008_1011Image0005.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 2008_1011Image0007.JPG
    2008_1011Image0007.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 424
Thanks Kimeric!

Did you do the install yourself?
Were there any difficulties with insulation, shingles or heat considerations?
Is it a lot messier when you have to clean the vent?

Install was done by dealer. $500 labor. Two story house 28' of venting. Selkirk direct temp.
No difficulties with insulation or shingles. Clearance to combustibles is one inch for selkirk direct temp. Vented through closet on second floor and boxed in.
As far as cleaning the vent this is my first year I haven't cleaned it yet, and I have the top vent adapter on the stove so I suspect clean out will be slightly messier than if I had a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.