Need Help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
Scrounged this from a neighbors yard. Tree has been dead for a few years. I thought it was ASH until I started spitting it. very stringy and dry. Difficult to split.

Attachments

• wood.1.JPG
    wood.1.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 320
  • wood.2.JPG
    wood.2.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 310
  • wood.3.JPG
    wood.3.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 340
  • wood.4.JPG
    wood.4.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 331
  • wood.5.JPG
    wood.5.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 343
  • wood.6.JPG
    wood.6.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 344
  • wood.7.JPG
    wood.7.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 342
  • wood.8.JPG
    wood.8.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 353
  • wood.9.JPG
    wood.9.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 290
looking at a phone but spidey sense is saying black locust. yellowish wood? Smells nasty?

To stringry for locust, it would splinter more and inside is not dark/yellow enough. Maybe gum?

It's not yellow inside, more slightly pink. No pith in the center. Fairly dense and stringy. Moisture is at 14.5%. It has been dead for a few years and the tree is huge, probably 85 feet tall. This came from a large branch that the power company cut off of it.

I say Elm, bark, end grain and stringy splits all remind me of a good size elm I processed in spring 2015. It dried over the summer and burned really good.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Looks like Am. elm. With knife cut and look for two-tone layered bark (light and chocolate).

Elm!

My first thought was elm too.

And one more vote for elm. Just cut some today that looks exactly like this.

Yep elm. Like Cincy said, should have a bacon layer bark, viewed cross section. My experience has been it gets easier to split as it dries. Still not fun, but fresh stuff looks like wood hairballs when split.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Cut piles of that standing dead last winter. Split right away. Bit of a PIA to split. Less than 20% now. Burns very nice now. Glad to have it. Fencelines here are loaded with it. I vote Elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.