Need info on an Arrow 1800a woodstove.. thinking about buying one local.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
Hi guys,
I raninto someone with an Arrow 1800. I have not seen it but was wondering what you guys think about this stove. How large the firebox is and how efficient its supposed to be. He thinks its about 20 years old, has owned since new and says it has had very little. I can find much about it on the net. I have an 1800 sqft house and the current stove and its 1cbft firebox doesn't do to well when it gets down in the single digits.

Could someone tell me about the stove and whether its worth getting for around 250 or not?

Thanks!

After doing a google search, it looks like a heavy duty stove. Also, 250 is the lowest price for one for sale that came up in the search results

A few things to consider

1. Is it UL approved? Is the UL tag on the back of the stove? If not, you may have a hard time getting the stove installed in your home because of rejection by the insurance company or by local codes

2. Is it EPA approved? Yea, yea, lots of people think the EPA is a bunch of bunny huggin, global warming conspiracy makin', monsters. Well, while some of that may be true, what is also true is that their regulations actually improved the function of wood stove. I just switched from a Fisher wood stove (large steel box that you could burn wood in for 100 years) to a modern Englander 30 stove. All I can say is that the difference is night and day. I have never had burns that were so long, I am using less wood, and my chimney is staying cleaner (safer). In other woods, it's a win, win, win.

Look inside the stove and do you see a baffle plate w/ several "tubes" underneath it with holes in them? If so, then it is more modern in design and will offer some of the benefits. Being 20 years old, I doubt it's as efficient as anything on the market today that is EPA approved, but for 250 bux, if it's in the right shape and has some sort of EPA secondary burn apparatus, then I would consider buying it.

Good luck

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.