Need info on firechief insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Looxahoma

Nov 5, 2018
Mississippi
hey folks, got new home with fireplace and looking at used insert. It’s firechief. Model fp6 84wg. What do you know about it. Good or stay away. I live over hr away so want to see if it’s worth drive. Looks good and they’re asking $400. Thx

Is this a zero clearance fireplace? Do you have any pictures?

I am amused to note that if you Google for Fire Chief stoves, you'll find s a company in St. Louis called Hy-C. This company makes Fire Chief brand wood furnaces.

They also own Gardus, who make the Soot Eater which is so popular here. This becomes funny when you find out the next thing they make...
Need info on firechief insert

So the question is: Was the "Magic Heat" actually invented specifically to drum up business for the Soot Eater? :)

...and to the OP, I would personally not drive an hour to look at a used insert from a company that doesn't even have a website, unless I was being paid to haul it away for scrap.

Even if the guy delivers it to your doorstep for free, now you have to figure out if it's UL listed and what the clearances are. And then there's the question of whether it has decent performance.... No thank you!

You might give Hy-C a call and ask if they ever made wood burning inserts. If they only made them pre-EPA (before 1993), that's another reason to take a hard pass.