Need insert recommendation for Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tm4192

Mar 30, 2014
Westchester, NY
Small, masonry fireplace that am looking to place an insert into to offset these crazy oil prices. Some details:

• House is cape style, 1800 square feet
  • Fireplace in front room which will heat that room well with just the fireplace
  • Fireplace currently has four vents in each corner (heat comes out of there with regular fireplace)

Facing and Hearth Dimensions:
  • Width of facing--55 1/2
  • Height of facing--43
  • Length of Hearth--21
  • Bottom of FP to Hearth--0

Fireplace openings and dimensions:
  • Width of FP Opening--28 1/2
  • Height of FP Opening--27
  • Height of FP Rear--12
  • Depth of FP--18

Two local 'fireplace' stores carry a limited selection and push what they have. Where they have me leaning is:

• Regency CI1250
  • Regency I1200S
  • Jotul Winterport C350
  • Scan DSA4
  • Quadrafire 3100i
Thoughts on the above options, anything else out there? I just don't want to be limited by what a guy has in his showroom (but am NOT going to be the one installing).

Thanks guys.

In mid-sized inserts, also consider the Country Performer C210 (sold by Lennox), Lopi Revere, and Napolean 1402.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

The mentioning of the air ducts make me think you have something like an old Heatilator fireplace. You will first need to find out whether you even can put an insert in there. Can you find any label with the model# or post some pictures? Best would be to get a certified chimney sweep in (http://www.csia.org/search) after the season to clean it and to determine the safety of a potential insert.

The inserts you list are all rather small due to the limited size of the fireplace. You will just get some supplemental heat out of them and burn times of 5 to 6 hours, i. e. no overnight burns. How well is your house insulated? I fear you need something bigger with a firebox size of 2.5 to 3 cu ft in order to heat your place.

I think the best option for you will be to put a freestanding stove in front of it if you can extend the hearth. You will be getting a bigger stove, don't need to worry about putting an insert in a non-approved fireplace, more radiant heat, no blower required, and a cooktop when the power is out. Unfortunately, only a few stoves have the option to be rear-vented and the low height of your fireplace may limit the selection even further. One that should fit is the Woodstock Progress Hybrid with the short-leg kit option. Their new Ideal Steel stove may be another option. Jotul stoves (F500 or F600) can also be rear-vented but I think they are too high for you. Other manufacturers with rear-vented stoves: Hearthstone, Lopi (some models), a few Morso stoves. Check the height of the rear-flue exit and the firebox size to determine whether the stove would work for you.

You will have the whole summer to figure out the best solution, but make sure you have seasoned wood with a moisture content of less than 20% for the next winter. Several cords of split firewood should already be sitting in your yard in a sunny and windy location. If that's not the case, get that done first before buying the stove.

im new to this also. im having the same problems finding an insert. i have similar size firebox and 2000 sf. house and looking to off set some bills and be comfortable. all the dealers says theirs is the best. ive read reviews on inserts and it seams like all of them have good and bad reviews. im looking at the jotul or the harman they make a beautiful insert been around for ever and are well reviewed for a midsize insert they run around 3000. im not looking to heat my hole house with the location of fire place its not feasible. if anyone has a suggestions or advice it would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
im new to this also. im having the same problems finding an insert. i have similar size firebox and 2000 sf. house and looking to off set some bills and be comfortable. all the dealers says theirs is the best. ive read reviews on inserts and it seams like all of them have good and bad reviews. im looking at the jotul or the harman they make a beautiful insert been around for ever and are well reviewed for a midsize insert they run around 3000. im not looking to heat my hole house with the location of fire place its not feasible. if anyone has a suggestions or advice it would be great.

I would suggest opening your own thread. Are you sure you have a full masonry fireplace? And could you please include the firebox dimensions? Pics would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.