Need more Jotul C 550 Rockland tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazel

Sep 11, 2009
Connecticut
It's the new guy again. C 550 Rockland. Love it so far. Smoke issues I mentioned early on are a non-issue. Now I want to know how you other Rockland users typically set for overnight burn. The manual says not to continually set it at it's slowest burn because of creosote buildup. Also, to have your chimney checked twice a month (that seems like a lot of cash). How do you all use this for your (all winter) night burns (blower and air control settings) and how often should I have a creosote clean-out/checkup?

Thanks in advance

Get a good bed of coals. Load'er up. Char the load. Shut it down to 1/8" open. Pray. Probably get 7-8 hrs on a good day.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Get a good bed of coals. Load'er up. Char the load. Shut it down to 1/8" open. Pray. Probably get 7-8 hrs on a good day.

Great. I love simple instructions. Thanks.

Wazel said:
How often should I have a creosote clean-out/checkup?

Every setup is slightly different. You need to get to know your chimney with your stove and your wood. If its very clean after two weeks, see what happens after two months without a cleaning. If its fairly clean after two months, try once mid seasons and once in the spring. If your setup allows it buy some brushes and do it yourself. Its not rocket science.

The senator and others have all given you sound advice. I have found the wood to be the biggest factor, if it is good and DRY, then you can shut it all the way down. Note the Jotul will not allow you to starve it for air, there is still enough air to sustain combustion with the lever all the way to the left. I too like the 1/8" open, but if your wood is not ideal then open the air to maintain a hotter burn, otherwise you'll be brushing that thing monthly. I had a cord last year that was not quite dry and the stove told me when it needed to be cleaned (still trying to get the smoke out of the drapes). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.