Need Pellet stove suggestions (DIY)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tafagan95

Oct 28, 2020
CT
Hello,

I am new to this forum and seeking some advice in my DIY project. I am working on finishing my basement but before I go any further I wanted to relocate my pellet stove in an area that would flow with set up. Pictures provided below. My question is regarding chimney placement and the air intake hose. As you in the pictures I am going to use a core bit/drill to make the hole for the chimney. I was going to make the hole for the chimney approximately a foot down from the top of the cement foundation wall.... unless anyone has suggestions? Also are the studs going to be with the chimney passing in between them? Yes, I have the heat shield as well that goes in between the drywall and cement wall foundation. Then my next question is regarding the air intake hose. Can that hose be feed from behind the stove, through the dry wall,and travel up behind the drywall to wherever i place the hole for the air intake? Figured there is not any heat coming from that and possibly could be done like that? I would go straight out from behind the stove through the wall and to outside side but that wall is partially underground (shown in picture attached). So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions. So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions. So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions.

Please contact me back if you need me to clarify anything I said or post any pictures.

THE outside where the chimney will exit. bushes will be removed
1603921047309.jpeg

placement of where the pellet stove is going. The wall straight ahead is where I would like the chimney to go
1603921030348.png

picture of gap in between the joist and cement foundation where i was thinking to run the air intake hose to outside
1603921113741.png

p
zoomed in picture of the one above
1603921472651.png

Only thing I can say is refer to the owners manual for installation, clearances, elbows, pipe length, etc..

Hello,

I am new to this forum and seeking some advice in my DIY project. I am working on finishing my basement but before I go any further I wanted to relocate my pellet stove in an area that would flow with set up. Pictures provided below. My question is regarding chimney placement and the air intake hose. As you in the pictures I am going to use a core bit/drill to make the hole for the chimney. I was going to make the hole for the chimney approximately a foot down from the top of the cement foundation wall.... unless anyone has suggestions? Also are the studs going to be with the chimney passing in between them? Yes, I have the heat shield as well that goes in between the drywall and cement wall foundation. Then my next question is regarding the air intake hose. Can that hose be feed from behind the stove, through the dry wall,and travel up behind the drywall to wherever i place the hole for the air intake? Figured there is not any heat coming from that and possibly could be done like that? I would go straight out from behind the stove through the wall and to outside side but that wall is partially underground (shown in picture attached). So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions. So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions. So my other idea was if the air intake hose can go behind the wall, could I make a hole through the siding (right where the cement foundation ends at the top, shown in picture)? I really rather not have to make another hole through the cement foundation if I really do not need to. That is pretty much all I need help planning at the moment but I will be sure to ask if I have any questions.

Please contact me back if you need me to clarify anything I said or post any pictures.

THE outside where the chimney will exit. bushes will be removed
View attachment 265692

placement of where the pellet stove is going. The wall straight ahead is where I would like the chimney to go
View attachment 265691

picture of gap in between the joist and cement foundation where i was thinking to run the air intake hose to outside
View attachment 265693
p
zoomed in picture of the one above
View attachment 265694
I suggest you check your local building codes to ensure compliance. Should a fire every occur (God forbid), the fire dept and insurance companies will check that.