Need Pipe Connection Wizzard INPUT V.C. defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamz

Dec 8, 2014
Mass
I have a V.C. Defiant Mod 1945 8 inch oval exit. I only have about 12 inches to make my connection to my reduction collar that brings my 8 down to 6 ( my relined chimney) My problem is that the stove is 4.5 inches lower than my chimney opening height. I've looked high and low for a flexible connection and I can't figure out how to do it.

Can I use a short piece of flexible chimney liner pipe to connect my 8 inch Oval Boot to Round to my 8 to 6 reducer? This would allow me to deal with the height differenc without adding on too much lenght in the connection. The oval to round has to be at least 10 or so inches to make the transition in shapes.

It would not be such a problem if I didn't have to keep my stove back on it's tile hearth as much as possible in an effort to maintain my 18 inches in the front.

I've been told I can put two flexible 90's and swivel them to get my connection to deal with the difference in height but all this brings the stove out so far and like I said I'm trying to keep my connections within 12 inches. Any suggestions and comments would be so appreciated.

Thanks!

Rear exit into a Tee? This is going to be tough for sure as the flex pipe you want to use is supposed to be inside an existing mason chimney, not left exposed.

Reactions: Beamz
Rear exit into a Tee? This is going to be tough for sure as the flex pipe you want to use is supposed to be inside an existing mason chimney, not left exposed.
Thanks for your reply. The stove doesn't connect into a T, no. It was an 8 inch flue and we relined with an 6 inch flex pipe because larger didn't fit. I know what your saying is true but it seems to be at least the same gauge as the boot and reducer and built to take as much heat so I don't see why it wouldn't work to use a very short piece to make a flex connection between my boot and reducer. I know it's unorthodox-ed but without doing something inventive my stove is going to be too far out into my room encroching on rugs and a dinning room table that I want to leave proper setbacks too. Again any input is appreciated and welcomed.

It's a typical Defiant rear exit Oval 8 inch and I have that boot that goes 8 inch oval to round and a reducer 8 to 6 but my stove is too low by 4.5 inches. That's why I want to use the flex pipe to make that drop with something like a 6 inch piece. Thanks for your feedback.

Did you consider setting some nice stone under the stoves feet to raise it 4.5"?

Claydogg84, Yes I have it temporarily on some blocks but it sits on a beautiful tile "rug" that was built for the stove and it looks weird raised up . Would I be voilating code to use the flex pipe? I'm surprised someone wouldn't market a flex fitting out of such material as it seems it would have lot of similar applications. Again any other ideas are so welcome, thanks again for your reply. The tile "rug" ( it's set into an oak floor) is part of the reason I don't want the stove to stick way the heck out in the room as well. It's a brain teaser... thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.