Need shop stove help. Draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLogger

Sep 2, 2009
Western Oregon
I acquired an Orley brand stove recently and thought it'd be perfect for the shop. Bought all the stuff to do the install and then realized the outlet is not six inch, or five inch. It's somewhere in between. I managed to make the elbow work by popping the rivets and slipping it over and using a clamp to secure it.

Now I've run it a few times and man is it temperamental. It seems it drafts real well because there is zero issue with smoke at start up and it takes right off. The scary part is after it gets hot and I start shutting it down it starts to puff and flame out the air holes in the air control on the door. The only way to remedy this is is to open the draft all the way which causes it to really take off or close the damper all the way and the fire just smolders. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
bad6971619c0a1a4a305c1b16e1ed8ba.jpg

Also it sounds like a 125 mm stove pipe, common in Europe. Jotul makes an adapter to 6", available from Woodmans Parts Plus.

Also it sounds like a 125 mm stove pipe, common in Europe. Jotul makes an adapter to 6", available from Woodmans Parts Plus.
Thanks for that info. These are stove install pictures so the area has been cleaned up a little but the saws are still there so I guess I do burn that close to the saws. I've had that thing pretty hot and the saws are never even close to warm so I'm not to concerned about that. I burn Doug fir in the stove.

Maybe poor, coarse draft control.

Note this is an illegal purchase/install in OR.

Maybe poor, coarse draft control.
Do you thing an in pipe damper would help control it? I thought about taking a section of double wall out too to see if it would settle it down.
Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, that's just one variable. How well can you control the air intake?

Backpuffing usually happens when there is poor combustion and then re-ignition of the wood smoke. Wet wood can cause this. When was the doug fir cut, split and stacked?

It's dry wood. Split 2 yrs ago and stacked outside covered then put in the shed last spring. I split small to so that helps. It's burning fine in my Super 27. I know the wood is dry.

Thanks for responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had that thing pretty hot and the saws are never even close to warm so I'm not to concerned about that
You really really should be. It is very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.