Need some advice - smoke situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

back2basics

May 16, 2022
Western WA
I have a PE Super 27, using it with no issues since October 1st. I just noticed smoke in the house, for the 2nd day now, and did some inspecting. I found that a tiny bit of smoke was exiting my inside stove pipe, where it meets the box at the ceiling. We've been using the stove now for almost 5 months and no issues like this to date. We did have smoke in the house yesterday on startup, and I was very confused. The smoke alarm actually went off. I just figured it was a weird inversion or something like that, as it resolved in about 10 minutes, with a window and back door open for a bit...

It has stopped smoking now, I believe because the pipe has now expanded enough due to heat to close the gap there. But what has caused this sudden change?

I do see, using a flashlight, that there is a black mark on box where the pipe attaches. I saw a bit of smoke and actually one tiny piece of ash come out before it stopped. Any ideas as to what is going on/why this would happen out of nowhere? Did I have a small chimney fire up there? Is there an obstruction? I've only been burning seasoned dry maple and fir, with a MC of around 15. I have maybe 4 times now used some pressed firelogs to overnight the fire on very cold nights. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

stovepipe.jpg

Check the chimney pipe and chimney cap. If the cap has a screen, there is a good chance it is plugging up.

How is the wood being tested for moisture content? On the outside or ends? Or after being resplit in half and tested in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood?

The cap does have a screen. Why would that plug it up?

I have a meter and test the ends of the wood...should I split some and test the insides? Our wood catches fast and I hear no sizzling/bubbling etc the way wet wood does.

Is it just happening on startup? If I have a cold firebox and flue in the morning and I can actually feel a draft I have to use a hairdryer to warm it up less I will have smoke back puffing in my room. Not saying this is your issue since like begreen said cold be a plugged cap. I do see the discoloration on the pipe. I’m sure some chimney experts can weigh in on this.

I have a meter and test the ends of the wood...should I split some and test the insides? Our wood catches fast and I hear no sizzling/bubbling etc the way wet wood does.
Yes always bring a piece of wood in the house for a day or so resplit it and test the middle of the spilt parallel to the grain. Never the ends. The middle is what matters.

Reactions: back2basics

Testing on the ends of the wood is giving you a false reading. Wood dries from the outside in. It's possible that the firewood is >25% inside. High moisture content doug fir will burn due to the oil content, but it needs seasoning still.

Test the wood by resplitting it in half. The testing needs to be done in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood, preferably at room temp. Press the prongs into the wood firmly.

Reactions: VintageGal
Interesting for sure, and thank you for the explanation on the wood testing. I grabbed a few pieces from the house and split them open. The ends test around 8-9 MC. The fresh split insides are showing 16-18 MC.

Why would the screen be potentially clogging the chimney? Having not ever removed one before, is it fairly easy to do?

Think of it this way, a clogged screen is like putting a plug in the exhaust pipe of the car. The smoke has to go somewhere.

Think of it this way, a clogged screen is like putting a plug in the exhaust pipe of the car. The smoke has to go somewhere.
So I've discovered that the smoke comes out of the pipe/box area whenever I open the stove door. As soon as I close it - it stops. Thoughts?

New stove.
5 months in.
Clean the cap/pipe.
Or have it cleaned.
Let us know how things go afterward.
Good luck

I climbed up on the roof and took off the cap and screen. Used a poly brush to sweep the pipe. The screen was fairly gunked up. Left it off after cleaning everything up really well. There was very little to clean up from the pipe itself. Must have been that cap/screen.
I was so confused as to what was going on because this is my 3rd wood burner now, and I've never experienced anything like this.
Getting the baffle back in place was trickier than I thought it would be.
Thanks again for the advice.

Your first post said you MC was 15 and you were testing on the Ends. Subsequent posts say the end tested 8-9 and middle was 16 - 18. Logic would indicate that if you 8-9 end measure was 16 - 18 on the inside, your 15% end measure was probably 25 - 30%. I am going to guess creosote buildup on the cap reducing draft

Your first post said you MC was 15 and you were testing on the Ends. Subsequent posts say the end tested 8-9 and middle was 16 - 18. Logic would indicate that if you 8-9 end measure was 16 - 18 on the inside, your 15% end measure was probably 25 - 30%. I am going to guess creosote buildup on the cap reducing draft
Yes, my MC information was confusing. My first post reflected pieces of wood outside in my woodshed, on the ends. The other posts about MC reflected wood that had been inside my house for about a week, sitting on my wood rack, near my stove. It tested out quite a bit differently, as you have noted.

Yes, my MC information was confusing. My first post reflected pieces of wood outside in my woodshed, on the ends. The other posts about MC reflected wood that had been inside my house for about a week, sitting on my wood rack, near my stove. It tested out quite a bit differently, as you have noted.
The outside pieces will measure drier due to the temp. If I can't bring wood in to warm up to test. I always add 1 - 2% to the meter reading.

If you didn't resplit it right before you took the reading then the reading is useless. Also taking a reading of the ends is useless.

If you can continue to bring batches of this stack of wood into the house for a week or two, that will help dry it out faster. You'll get more heat and a better burn.

I have a PE Super 27, using it with no issues since October 1st. I just noticed smoke in the house, for the 2nd day now, and did some inspecting. I found that a tiny bit of smoke was exiting my inside stove pipe, where it meets the box at the ceiling. We've been using the stove now for almost 5 months and no issues like this to date. We did have smoke in the house yesterday on startup, and I was very confused. The smoke alarm actually went off. I just figured it was a weird inversion or something like that, as it resolved in about 10 minutes, with a window and back door open for a bit...

It has stopped smoking now, I believe because the pipe has now expanded enough due to heat to close the gap there. But what has caused this sudden change?
double check that pairing the smoke sign shouldn't be so obvious, there must be something like a hole, and I recommend ducting the combustion air to the outside

sorry begreen i would reply the first post 🤗

Reactions: Prometeo