Need some direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1madtrapper

Jan 29, 2019
northern ontario
New to the OWB , purchased a woodmaster 5500 hooked it up wrong at first and I think I have it hook proper now with a mixing valve and a pump off boiler and one pumping from boiler loop to manifolds. I am running 8 - 300 ft loops in floor 1/2 pex to uponor s/s manifolds with flow control and meters, coming in from logstor pipe 100ft to house from owb. a grundfos 18-58 at boiler and another 18-58 into manifold. Running the boiler at 180 to keep return above 140 it seems to be running around 157 coming back from the house. The house is a 40x60 insulated/ vap barrier 2 storey house with 900 ft running under the upstairs floor which is not hooked up yet. I am also running a garage 30x50 with 6 - 300 ft loops 16 ft at eves and catherdrail ceiling style.

So far so good it has been -40 and below at night with wind chills into the -60's I have so many questions I would like to ask I don't know where to start.
I am trying to achieve a gd 12 hr burn correct?
how do you size the pump to loops? I have seen head pressure graphs but no volume charts.
Do I need a plate ex before the in floor lines to collect sediment?
Should there be a tank in the lines or is that for closed loop?
What should my flow be in lpm ? And is this flow adjustment mainly to achieve a acceptable delta T ?
Thanks so much, very green but hey I got it going and its heating 8000sq ft in -40.