pump requirements and pressures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scott leigh

Jul 4, 2023
northern mn
I am using a Heatmore 400. It is mounted 70 ft from the house with a rise of about 4 ft. Inside are 3 water to air exchangers, the highest is another8 ft. I want to run the fluid through a filter before going into the pump so I would like to mount the pump in the house (4 ft) behind the filter before the manifold. Is the Taco 1/6 circulation pump mounted that far and 4 ft (12 total) higher than the boiler strong enough to circulate the fluid or should I install a shallow well pump? Will I need to install a expansion tank? What pressures should I be seeing in the line? Thank you for your suggestions.

Hopefully you are using 1" lines from your OWB to your house. Taco has docs on their site that you can use to figure out the head pressure and that will let you know if it's adequate for the job. A 1/6 HP pump should be more than adequate IMHO, I'd opt for a Grundfos 26-99 though.

What you are buying is a circulator and not a pump, it requires inlet pressure to work best. The best place to put the circulator is on the boiler. Lots of horror stories on Facebook of circulators that last very short period of time due to cavitation ( not enough inlet pressure ). You have an open system so you shouldn't need to worry about pressure or an expansion tank. If the boiler gets too hot it should just boil out the top of the boiler.

I am using a Heatmore 400. It is mounted 70 ft from the house with a rise of about 4 ft. Inside are 3 water to air exchangers, the highest is another8 ft. I want to run the fluid through a filter before going into the pump so I would like to mount the pump in the house (4 ft) behind the filter before the manifold. Is the Taco 1/6 circulation pump mounted that far and 4 ft (12 total) higher than the boiler strong enough to circulate the fluid or should I install a shallow well pump? Will I need to install a expansion tank? What pressures should I be seeing in the line? Thank you for your suggestions.
Once in the house use a plate heat exchanger double wall and create two separate systems . Then you can use a buffer tank and expansion tank.