need some good advice.............newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

engina

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
northeast
I have a majestic BR36 zc wood burning fireplace. I am looking for my best option for an insert to supliment heat a 2200sq ft home with a two story great room where fireplace is located. My local dealers have suggested the regency 2100 hearth heater which i like but my hearth is only 17.5 inches in width. They have also suggested the Jotul 350 winterport. Im looking for the best quality and I know im limited on firebox sizes...... any insight would be great. Or any other suggestions are welcome..........thanks

I'd put in the largest insert that will comfortably fit. The hearth can be extended. It doesn't have to match the existing hearth. Sometimes a nice tile border can added that looks good and satisfy this need.

sounds like you have the same zc firplace i have! man mines a big heat sucker out of our house! im tying to put a wood stove in the open floor plan my fireplace is in, and then change the fireplace out for a insert later maybe... im on a limited budget and have a blaze king wood stove already im trying to use. im going to keep a close eye on your thread to see how it goes, please take lots of pictures and keep the info flowing so i can absorb it for my install.

Thank you

Ray

Here is what I would do, oh wait, you asked for GOOD advice. Nevermind.

I had a similar situation. Mine was a ZC Heat-a-lator fireplace installed in an un-insulated exterior chase, also in a great room with a sunken floor which added to the problem. These are some issues to consider. If you have a chase like mine, you will still end up with cold draft problems and maybe flu draft &/or cresote issues. I read the instalation manuals for probably every insert on the market. They all say that when installing into an existing ZC, the air circulating vents MUST be left open. That sounds like an ugly install to me, not to mention a possible entery for drafts. After MUCH research and contemplation, I decided to tear the whole darn thing out and replace it with an air tight high efficency ZC. It cost me plenty, but I am very happy with the results. I estimate it provided 90% of my winter heat. I did all of the work myself, and I would be happy to provide more info. Just ask. I learned tons from this sight during the entire process and now feel the need to "give back".

Good luck!

Attachments

• Compete.jpg
    Compete.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 402
Welcome to both of our new folks!

I guess the details of your existing ZC setup would be the deciding factor, but like burnt2perfection, I personally would be inclined to rip it out. I'd install a free standing stove/hearth and plumb it with Class A SS pipe. Your overall performance and efficiency would be significantly better... not to mention it opens a lot more doors for choices and you'll have real heat during a power outage. Installing a small insert will not do overnight burns and certainly wont heat a 2200 sq ft house by itself... but a stove will.

BTW, nice job burnt2perfection on your install! ;)

Thanks for all the input. My options arte slim> unless i tear out the zc small ass builder box and whore up the stone work on the outside,there isnt much out there in terms of a nice size insert that will fit> Is anyone familiar with the regency 2100 hearth stove> they claim it will fit and it sits out on the hearth >here is a link> opinions are welcome...........thanks
http://regency-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/H2100/

Maybe the photo angle, and no offense intended, but something don't look plumb there. Either the windows or the fireplace?
Maybe just my perception?

Love the stonework btw. ;)

Hogwildz said:
Maybe the photo angle, and no offense intended, but something don't look plumb there. Either the windows or the fireplace?
Maybe just my perception?

Love the stonework btw. ;)

Everything is plum (close enough). Must have had one to many beers before taking this picture. Thanks for the complements.

Just installed a Regency Hearth Heater 2100 last year. My Wife and I love it. I would highly reccommend it to anyone who is considering buying an insert. It looks like a free-standing stove that backs up to our ZC. It has a small firebox though (1.6cf), but not that many options for ZC fireplaces.

With your size home, rip it out, spend $4000 on an epa certified fireplace, trash the stone facing, toss some tile on the new sheetrock, claim $5k on your taxes for the energy credit, get $1500 bucks back and save money heating with wood.

You wont get a decent sized insert in a 36" builders box (if your going to install it properly) You'll end up spending $2500 on an insert that heats one room.

Status
Not open for further replies.